Diagnosis....what next?

Hello all. Been back to see my Neurologist today. Already had a brain MRI scan a few month ago showing multiple demyelinating lesions. Went back today to get results of a recent brain MRI with gadolinium which has showed no active lesions, which means the ones I have are old lesions ( so I’m told). Results of a Spinal scan showed a long thin spinal lesion…which accounts for mobility problems in legs and pins and needles and urinary incontinence. The lumbar puncture came back negative for O bands. The neurologist said he’s discussed scans with radiologist and is confident in giving me a diagnosis of MS after considering all my symptoms and my blood tests being clear for other conditions. Of course I’m relieved to have got a diagnosis…wish I could turn the clock back though. Dont know where I’m going next…neuro never said what type of ms it is. Said there’s no medication because lesions are’nt active. Seeing my gp in a few week so maybe things will be clearer then. I’m feeling a bit down now…not really sure how I should be feeling…hate the night times. Sorry to off load but writing things down helps me. Give it a few days and I will feel better I’m sure. Noreen x

Hi noreen! Really sorry to hear about your diagnosis! Strange that your neuro didn’t tell you what type of ms you have. How many periods of problems an what types if you don’t mind me asking! Good that you don’t have to start medication though. I understand how you’re feeling in te nigh times, I was the same when I was told I had ms, just surround your self with people who care about you and they can support you. Sarah xxx

Hello Noreen, Sorry for your diagnosis. Be kind to yourself and expect to feel a variety of emotions, all are normal. There is no right or wrong way to feel. I was diagnosed in February and I am still coming to terms with it all, especially as certain things surface or happen. Night times are becoming an issue for me too (when I was first diagnosed, it was the mornings). We are all here to support each other, big hugs x Sam x

Hello Sam. Thanks for the message. I wish you well in your journey and hope your coping well…it is difficult…some days are better than others. Are you taking medication for the MS? Big hugs to you too. Noreen x

Hello sarah. Thanks for your message. Yes your right about people giving support. I have a good husband and family and friends. I hope your getting plenty of support too. If you click on my profile Sarah, I wrote about some of my symptoms on my first message when I joined the forum…is that what your asking me in your message? Its a bit complicated, I was diagnosed with Psoriatic arthritis in 2006…had to give up my nursing career. Also have osteoarthritis…basicly I’m a wreck lol. Sorry there’s no paragraphs in these messages…for some reason unknown to me, my windows 8 lap top won’t allow me to. Take care, Noreen x

[quote=“Blossom”]

Hello Sam. Thanks for the message. I wish you well in your journey and hope your coping well…it is difficult…some days are better than others. Are you taking medication for the MS? Big hugs to you too. Noreen x

[/quote] I am yes, Avonex. It is a weekly injection and I have been taking it since April. I was put on it pretty quickly as from the scans they could see I’d had MS for many years. Hopefully your GP will help make things clearer for you. Sam x

Hi noreen, Yeah I’ll take a look at your profile and symptoms! When was your official diagnosis? I too have some good people! My dad is amazing! (: I’m sorry you’re struggling so much at the minute, it is a really hard thing to go through and I can vouch do the feelings of being a wreck! The feeling of hopelessness can be so depressing, but you just remember that there is hope and the fact you have no active lesions is a good sign! (: hopefully your go when you see them can shed some more light! (: xxxx