Diagnosis seems quick

Hi everyone, I’m wondering if anyone else has had a very quick diagnosis following an mri scan?
I got sent straight to the orthopaedic assessment unit on Friday 28th July following an emergency appointment with the gp that morning due to leg weakness in my left leg and a buzzing sensation from the top of my spine to my toes when I put my chin to my chest (these symptoms had gotten worse over about a week). I had a full examination there first and bladder scan which revealed that I wasn’t able to fully empty my bladder, I was sent straight away that day for lumber mri but that was all clear.
I then got told it could possibly be ms symptoms and could I return on the Monday for another mri of thoracic spine, cervical and brain.
Following this mri it was apparently sent over to neurology to look over and then I had a consultant in orthopaedics (he seemed very high up in the hospital) come give me the news that the diagnosis was ms as multiple lesions had shown on the mri scan in multiple places.
Obviously it’s not his field of expertise so couldn’t tell me a lot and gave me his apologies that he couldn’t tell me more but was sending an urgent referral to neurology that day.
I have since been given an appointment for 13th September but I’m just wondering if a diagnosis this quick is normally correct?
Since having this news alot has clicked with symptoms I’ve had over the last 18 months also.

Sorry it’s a long post but any insight would be really helpful as I feel totally in limbo at the moment.

Thanks in advance,
Cara

In the U.K. only a neurologist can give a diagnosis of MS. A lot of people go through a very protracted process with evidence being slowly accumulated. There are a lot of other illnesses to be eliminated. However, if you do not report seemingly insignificant signs and only present with a major relapse in progress you may receive a LOT of tests in a very short time and have very clear results in MRI and no other contraindications from the other tests and receive your diagnosis very quickly.

In my case I was seen by the GP at 0830 falling over on the way in and the way out, given access to the ambulatory care unit and had many tests including MRI I had lumber puncture at around 1700 and was admitted for intravenous steroids and had to pass the safety test before being allowed to go home.

Hi Cara. From what I can tell about other peoples posts about long waiting time to see a neurologist you are very lucky to get such a quick appointment. The neurologist will confirm whether it’s MS or not.

I was diagnosed some 17 years ago after an episode of Optic Neuritis. I did have to wait a few weeks to see the neurologist but nowhere near as long as what seems to be the current norm of several months ( which to me is an appallingly long wait - all down to Covid and a lack of neurologists in the NHS).

All the best for the 13th when, if it is MS and with luck the neurologist will discuss treatments with you and you will be able to start treatment soon after

2 Likes

Formally it’s a consultant neurologist who confirms the diagnosis, but most of us have seen the way the wind is blowing well before reaching that point. and it sounds like that’s where you are now. I was the same: the formal dx was no surprise when it came.

It’s all been a bit of a whirlwind by the sound of it. I am sorry that you have so much going on so fast.

Thank you both for explaining your experiences. Yes I agree I do seem lucky to have got an appointment so quickly. Originally when I called up the referral booking line to check I was on the list they said it could be up to 36 weeks for urgent referrals but I was asked to call back the following week once the referral had been triaged to see where I was on the list, called back and they said I’d been classed as priority so they could give me the next appointment available there and then on the phone.
Felt so relieved not to have to wait 36 weeks but also wondering what showed on the mri that put me as priority!
It’s being in limbo land that gets to you the most isn’t it, your mind starts working overtime.

1 Like