Forum

Diagnosis in your 60s...

It may be because it happened to me, that I am aware of a lot of people getting diagnosed with MS in their 60s…

I came to MS via Orthopaedics after hurting my knee whilst jogging when I was 55. Over the last 12 years, amongst other things, I have paid for private physiotherapy. I have actually asked whether it might be MS, and have been told, ‘No; you are too old; MS is a young person’s disease’…

But as I think back, that was such a silly statement…!!! Anything, medical or otherwise, that has a ‘normal (bell-shaped) distribution’ WILL ALWAYS have outliers, people at extremes, both extra young and extra old. I should have been dx’d at 55-ish after the jogging injury, but, as my new neuro has told me, the previous one ‘got it wrong’, looking at MRI scans.

Nevertheless, I was not young. I had had a lot of life, whether good or bad, and can’t imagine having had this dx in my 20s. That does not mean that I had not intended on enjoying the rest of my life as I grow old, because at 66, I would not feel old if it was not for MS…

But, maybe there were signs of something earlier in my life. In my early teens, I had what was dx’d as ‘growing pains’ as a reason for pain in my knees. My mother gave me some of her Transvasin (?) rheumatism cream to rub into them. As a teenager, I went to school smelling of Transvasin… . This did not increase my limited confidence…!!! Nowadays my MS seems to evolve around my knees with both pain and weakness… Who knows…!!!

Anyway, current research is coming on in leaps and bounds, and is finding lots of exciting things that may help in the future…

Anne

Hi Anne,

It happened to me too.

I developed optic neuritis and drop foot around 2008-9 when I was 58. The neurologist ruled out MS “because I was too old.”

After MRI and LP he had to admit I had PPMS. He was not happy; and, to the relief of the local MS community, retired soon afterwards.

Best wishes,

Anthony

My new neuro has said, ‘a working diagnosis of PMS’. I’m guessing that I will get another P added shortly…

Anne