Forum

Demyelination

My MRI came back with two areas of demyelination/lesions. If the lumbar puncture comes back clear does anyone have any idea of what else it could be? Someone suggested that everyone has this, but I saw the scan and the area seemed quite big. Surely if it was common they wouldn’t have bothered with a LP and VER?

Hi DM,

I am not an expert at all, so someone will set me right if this is wrong but I think that people can get lesions on the brain with age, however the significant finding with MS is the location of the lesions.

Having all the tests that you are having will rule things out or in, whatever is relevant. Don’t read to much into the fact that you are having a variety of tests. That is what any competent neuro would do.

Hth and Good Luck,

Teresa xx

There are actually loads of causes of lesions, but the size, shape and location of the lesions as well as your symptoms and clinical exam results should point the neuro in the right direction. What did the radiologist say in the report?

If the radiologist called them lesions and they are large then they aren't age-related lesions - the only "normal" type of lesion (that I know of anyway). Large lesions are absolutely NOT something that everyone has. Any chance you were looking at the wrong thing? It's fairly easy to mistake the ventricles for lesions if you're not familiar with the brain and everyone has them. (The ventricles are the lakes of CSF in the middle of the brain and they are bright white on some types of scan.)

Remember that LPs aren't definitive tests - about 10% of MSers have negative LPs. Also, the latest McDonald criteria state that only two lesions (in MS typical areas) are required to diagnosis MS. So it's too early to rule out MS as yet.

I hope your neuro works it out soon for you!

Karen x

[quote=rizzo]

There are actually loads of causes of lesions, but the size, shape and location of the lesions as well as your symptoms and clinical exam results should point the neuro in the right direction. What did the radiologist say in the report?

If the radiologist called them lesions and they are large then they aren’t age-related Thanks for setting me straight. I was just going on what I had read on here! Teresa xx

Did it sound like I was correcting you?!?! I really wasn’t (you were right anyway!): I was typing at the same time as you so didn’t see your post until I’d finished!

Age does seem to be a regularly mis-used explanation for lesions from what I can tell though, with neuros using the “one per decade” rule of thumb to decide what’s normal, but it is simply not normal for a young or middle-aged person to have lesions of any type, especially when you consider that the McDonald criteria stipulate that only two are needed for a diagnosis of MS!

The whole thing’s a minefield :frowning:

Kxx

[quote=“rizzo”]

Did it sound like I was correcting you?!?! I really wasn’t (you were right anyway!): I was typing at the same time as you so didn’t see your post until I’d finished!

Age does seem to be a regularly mis-used explanation for lesions from what I can tell though, with neuros using the “one per decade” rule of thumb to decide what’s normal, but it is simply not normal for a young or middle-aged person to have lesions of any type, especially when you consider that the McDonald criteria stipulate that only two are needed for a diagnosis of MS!

The whole thing’s a minefield :frowning: See my pm, Teresa xx

Thanks. The neuro said that there were lesions and age related spots (2 but I’m 40) You could see a clear difference in the size and they were in a different place. Im going to ring up next week and see if I can hurry up the LP results as I know they’ve had them 2 weeks now. The next appointment is 15 of may and if anyone can suggest what I should ask that would be helpful.