Covid19 - Right thing to do?

My father is in his early fifties, hasn’t work for ten years and claims disability benefits for MS. My mother hasn’t worked either because she is his carer and is now stuck as home with him everyday since the gyms have been closed. My sister has had them looking after my nephew who is two years old every week day 08:30 until 17:30 Monday to Friday, since March 2020. I’m worried about the risks of him catching Covid19 & becoming very ill due to his high risk category, even though the MS symptoms have only ever been apparent through his verbal moaning. My other younger sister has since moved back into the house since March 2020 & is working from home but has been continually inviting friends around for house & garden gatherings within the restrictions of six but all without masks. He is very active & will leave the house for walks with the dog & loves driving especially to the park with the grand children to push on the swings when he’s not busy with DIY around the house & chasing all around garden but as much as I tell him, he just won’t wear a mask. I have managed to make sure they have home supermarket deliveries but is there anymore I can I do to educate them about the risks of Covid19 & who should be the responsible one? All, father, mother, sisters or am I worrying about nothing because this is normal across the UK? MANCHESTER

1 Like

Hi, arent you now in the high risk zone in Manchester? I get confused with the changes to restrictions ie where/how many etc.

However I dont think it is a good idea for your sis to be having so many people round. Check with your local council what restrictions are.

Keep safe

Boudsx

Your dad sounds like a strong person and a lovely one too.

Really the only improvement to your situation is the suggestion by Bouds.

Original Poster-

I live in Greater Manchester too.

Hi

Can you not sit down (distanced, outside or on the phone/video chat) with your sisters and discuss how to keep your parents safe? It should perhaps come from them as much as from you as to what happens. If your sister(s) are in fact breaking the Tier 3 rules, and endangering your parents, then maybe they need to understand what they’re doing wrong rather than your mum & dad having to set ‘house rules’?

Covid has made us all have to change our behaviour. It must be harder for young people than the middle aged (like me and possibly your parents). I think most people understand just how difficult it is for young people to live their lives happily under Covid rules.

Best of luck.

Sue

My husband has MS I have children at school should we be shilding due to lockdown again

Hello Tarnia

You’ve posted your question on thread that’s primarily about a different issue. You might be better off starting your own thread. Just hit the button marked New Thread, give it a title and then post whatever you like.

Meanwhile, welcome to the forum.

To give a brief answer to your question, people haven’t been advised to shield again due to the new lockdown. Plus, MS alone was never a reason to shield. It’s only if your immune system is compromised by (for example) a drug therapy, or another ailment, that people were told to shield.

On the other hand, we’ve all been told to stay at home as much as possible. See https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-national-restrictions-from-5-november for the rules.

Sue

Wearing masks have no significant reduction in viral infections and there has been no evidence to suggest otherwise. Seeing as how wearing of masks also increases the viral load on your body and substantially increases the incidence of pneumonia and other respiratory conditions, not to mention the continuous intake of mould and bacterial colonies which develop within face masks over a short period.

I would say that if he is staying as active as possible and allows his immune system to function as it has evolved to do, then he is already doing the best possible thing for his health.

buy the washable masks and those mesh bags sold to store things in the fridge.

I bought a set of 10 washable masks and wash them once a week.

It is such an easy routine.