Citalopram

The GP has prescribed for me Citalopram. If you are also taking it can you please describe the effect it has on you, best time of day to take the tablet and any side effects. I am also taking a very low dose of Amitriptyline, will these meds interfere with each other, the GP didn’t mention anything to me about it.

Hi I was px’d citalopram earlier this year and I take Amytriptyline. I found that I put weight on quite quickly and have had trouble losing it!! I didn’t feel it improved my wellbeing or mental health (my husband says there’s no drugs in the world that can sort that out, Lol) but it does take a while to get into your system so you could give it a go for 3 months and see how you feel. Just don’t give in to the munchies!! Good Luck Jess

I am on 40mg citralopram. I was on twenty but recently increased as did not seem to be having much effect. I take it at bedtime but don’t know if that’s the best time. Was also on amatryptaline but didn’t work so moved on to pregabalin. As far as I experienced these drugs did not affect each other. Also on copaxone. Thank God prescriptions in Scotland are free. Would be bankrupt!

A, I was prescribed Citalopram (20 MG tablets) about 5 weeks ago, as I seemed to be constantly ‘on the edge’ (used to loose my patience very quickly due to fatigue/ ‘general’ discomfort). Asked for LDN because of the positive stories I had heard about it (although also picked up the less positive ones). This was refused as there was no proof for a positive effect. I was prescribed Citalopram instead and this seems ‘to do the job’ (according to my wife who witnesses one and another most times…). She has just confirmed again that it has certainly made me ‘less verbally aggressive’ (…) Good luck, keep us up to date! :slight_smile:

…Sorry A., I take the tablet first thing in the morning, but not for any particular reason.

I take 20mg Citalopram in the morning and it does what it says on the tin for me no side effects at all.

HI, I take 20mg every night as it makes me a bit sleepy- works well, much better than crying all day! Take care Eve x

…by the way, Citalopram does not appear to work very well together with Modafinil (or Provigil, for fatigue)…what is your experience? (I stopped using Modafinil, after 7½ years, for that reason, as per information leaflet enclosed with the Citalopram, before starting to take these tablets).

I’ve been taking Citalopram for a couple of years now. 20mg didn’t do much for me, so it was upped to 40mg. Over the last couple of weeks my mental health has deteriorated so I’m now on 60mg for a two month trial. I’ve also been referred back to counselling and CBT. I take it first thing in the morning. I also take Amitripyline, which I take before I got to bed. It helps me get sleep, which can be a problem for me. I take Lamictal (lamotrigine) for my epilepsy, which can sometimes make it harder to get to and stay sleep. If I forget to take my Amitripyline I certainly notice the difference on that score :frowning:

ive been taing citalopram 20mg for two years. took it initially at night so would sleep through side effects but found that i had a very dry mouth so would wake up for a drink alot in the night. ive now swapped to taking it in the morning which i think its better as im benefitting from them durring the day wen i need them