Chemotherapy and MS anyone?

Hi

Just started chemotherapy for breast cancer. Was wondering if anyone else has gone through the same. I want to know if it effected your MS in anyway. My oncologist says it should kill off the bad cells in my nervous system as well as everything else and I hope that they regenerate ok and it does not leave me worse than before I started. Right leg having a few issues at the moment (numb and wobbly). Have to have steroids to stop the nausea when given the chemo so hope they will help MS too. I know that there is a chemo drug usedin MS for bad relapses so it must help. I think I am worrying too much!

Any advice or experiences would be welcome

mandyj.x

Hi Mandy

I’ve had the chemo they use for MS, it’s Mitoxantrone and is normally used for breast cancer, prostate cancer, myeloid leukaemia, non-Hodgkin lymphoma and occasionally primary liver cancer (according to Macmillan nurses site). I had a big relapse part way through the treatment which was unexpected (by me & my neuro) and it took me a long time to get over it. I also started Copaxone 1/2 way through, which I’m still on.

It has helped with my relapses which up until this week I thought I was having 1 or 2 smallish ones a year. It didn’t stop the day to day things that I’d been left with from previous relapses though.

This week I saw my new neuro (my old one emigrated) and he told me that the last 7 relapses I’ve had were not relapses, but the damage caused but previous relapses, playing up and no point in having steroids as they won’t do anything for that. He said that the Mitoxantrone had done it’s job and halted new relapses.

This was the first time that anyone had said this to me and has confused me a bit (being told they are relapses by other doctors etc).

I’m so sorry that you’re having to go through chemo for breast cancer, I hope it kicks it in to touch and as a bonus has a positive effect on your MS.

Good Luck

Sue

x

Hi Mandy

First let me say good luck with the cancer, I had it in 2008 and my cousin too a friend a few years before and we are all still here. I haven’t heard about chemotherapy helping with MS but I hope it does and you get great results.

Love Yvonne xx

Hi, sorry I don`t have any experience of this, but I really want to wish you well for a good recovery. MS and cancer?..so unfair, bless you.

luv Pollx

Hi Mandy,

All the very best for beating the breast cancer xxxxxx

I was on an experimental form of chemo for MS which is usually used to treat leukemia. I had two treatments of 5 days a month apart and it stopped the MS in its tracks for a year

It was the first year I hadn’t had back to back relapses for a few years and it gave everything a chance to calm down and stabilise. Best thing ever…

I hope the chemo you’re on also slows down the MS. Ask your oncologist if the chemo you’re on kills off the T cells and reduces the lymphocytes. If it does you have a good chance of seeing some reduction in your MS activity. Got to be some bonus for having breast cancer.

All the best,

Belinda

Hi to everyone who has replied

Thanks for your advice regarding the T cells and lymphocytes. I am seeing my oncologist on 10th September so will grill him. I am hoping that it will blast all the bad MS cells and give my body a chance to reboot itself with newer healthier ones! I see myself as one of the more fortunate sufferers of MS as I have always been pretty good with it. It was very stable at the start of all this cancer stuff so that should go in my favour. On a positive note my cancer was caught very early, with only a small lump and one cancerous lymph node under my arm so surgery has removed it all. The chemo is now an insurance policy to give me as long a life cancer free as possible. It’s amazing how the MS went out of my thoughts for some time when the big ‘C’ word was batted at me. But of course it is always there reminding me of how frustrating it can be!

Thanks for the get well wishes.

mandyj.x

I know a lady who had breast cancer and ms and the chemo didn’t effect her at all ms wise. And she has been cancer free for 6 years now. Her ms is no worse than before the dreaded cancer. Good luck sweetie and stay strong. Let us all know how you get on. laura xx

I know a lady who had breast cancer and ms and the chemo didn’t effect her at all ms wise. And she has been cancer free for 6 years now. Her ms is no worse than before the dreaded cancer. Good luck sweetie and stay strong. Let us all know how you get on. laura xx