Care Homes or Full Time Care in Own Home

Hi + Since 2x admissions to hospital for falls/ inability to move my brother (Ian) has had a care package in place for a few months now. Although initially ok there have now been multiple further falls and his mobility is worse along with a total deterioration in bowel/ urine movements. I am sat here for the 3rd time in as many months awaiting an ambulance as as soon as Ian confirms he has fallen then the carers will not intervene & are advised to call an ambulance/ have Ian assessed. It is blatantly clear that having the 4x a day care package is not enough for Ian’s needs & he himself is now wanting to go into full time care as ‘nothing is working’. I work full time and travel a lot and my parents are in their heading for their 80s so simply can not provide care in the gaps that the carers 4x a day leave.

What are the options & how best do we engage the right services to help Ian get the care he so desperately needs. We are all at the end of our teachers emotionally, physically & mentally trying to help Ian & so is he.

Thanks

Jon

Hi Jon
Sorry to hear the extent to which Ian is struggling. You’ll need to contact the Adult Social Care team at your local County or Unitary Council and ask for a statutory assessment. They will visit, look at present circumstances against future needs and make recommendations.

1 Like

I am sorry that life is so difficult for your family. With luck you will find that things get a little clearer soon: there is a process and LAs are generally very reluctant to move someone to residential care until a full-on in-home care package has been tried and failed, and it sounds like this is the case here. In one sense, it can actually be easier to get things moving if the person is an in-patient already, but either way I hope that you and your family soon start getting support for the changes ahead. Good luck with it all.

Hi, I am so sorry that Ian is in such a bad situation. I do believe this needs urgent attention from Social Services. Either possibility could work.
Make that call to SS first thing tomorrow.
Boudsx