Forum

carbon monoxide

hi peeps

if you haven’t got a carbon monoxide detector, GET ONE!!!

our went off early this morning (what a racket!).

an engineer from transco came almost straight away, had a good look round and changed the main gas tap because our house is quite old and the tap had seized up. he recommended that i contact the gas fitter who installed our boiler 9 months ago. meanwhile the gas is off. don’t mind the heating being off but we have no hot water which is a nuisance. (that spelling doesn’t look right).

so i’m going out to get a new detector in case mine is faulty and the gas fitter is coming tonight.

it’s reassuring to know that these detectors work and transco don’t charge anything.

carole x

Yes do please get one as they can literally save your life. Carbon monoxide gas is virtually undetactable by smell alone and if you are asleep and have a CM leak you will just not wake up. My beloved Nan was killed by CM and although she was 85 she was in very good health, very independent and could walk for miles every day, in fact we were all convinced she would live to be 100 and she used to say herself that we’d have to shoot her to get rid of her! Her daughter (my Aunt) used to phone her every morning but couldn’t get an answer one morning and when she went over to check on Nan she found her dead in the bathroom and a post mortem showed carbon monoxide poisoning. There was an inquest and gas board officials were called in to take her boiler apart to see if it was faulty but it wasn’t because it was regulalrly serviced every year, and more experts to check the chimney and flue but they were all perfect and the Coroner’s verdict was that Nan’s death had been caused by the freak very heavy winds during the previous night that must have blown the CM fumes back down the chimney but Nan obviously couldn’t smell them. Such a very sad waste of a life that still very much worth living.

Hi Carol If you are on a 3* British Gas contract you an get one from the engineer. As well as having a CO detector do not forget smoke dryer toes. You can also get ones that connect to a burglar alarm system. Make sure you get audible ones that are kite marked an meet BS also. Do not get a visual one. Dot that changes colour.-.no good if you are sleeping NOTE CO is heavier then air, it attaches to haemoglobin in the loos, symptoms- blurred vision, balance, dizziness and in extreme blue lips. Look At i1st 3 symptoms- could be mistaken Mike

Hi Carole,

Mine went off a few months ago, had all the boiler, pipes etc checked. I knew my detector went off if a whiff of smoke came in from outside, or indeed the cooking smoke got into the hallway.

Mine did like yours, I had all the emergency people out and they came to the conclusion the detector was faulty. But like you say, it can save lives.

I do hope things get sorted pretty quickly so you can get bathed/showered or youll end up with flies in the house !!!

bren

x

Hi flowtech What is the cost and what is involved. As this device, I assume shuts off the gas is there a mechanism for venting the CO. The CO will be at low level, unless there has been a large leakage, and the void has been filled-as CO is heavier then air. CO detectors are hard to check- unlike smoke detectors- would you have CO spray. Combined smoke/CO detectors are commercially available, as all devices of this type the sensing element is to be kept clean for maximum efficiency. But look or one that complies with EN 50291 (was BS ) and is kitemarked? There are Kiddie units available with a 7 year warranty for £25.50 from toolbank? (www.toolbank.com)? They also have an end of life warning Ps by the way they do smoke detectors too. Pops- I am an electrical engineer diagnosed with MS and I do not promote any products. I offer advice to my friends where I can. Mike

i was telling a friend i’d met at sainsbury’s about the carbon monoxide detector going off but my weird brain got my words muddled and i said my monosodium glutomate had gone off. then realising what i’d said i started laughing. must look like a real nutter.

Hi carol Bet it tasted good-ha :slight_smile: Mike

[quote=susie27]

Yes do please get one as they can literally save your life. Carbon monoxide gas is virtually undetactable by smell alone and if you are asleep and have a CM leak you will just not wake up. My beloved Nan was killed by CM and although she was 85 she was in very good health, very independent and could walk for miles every day, in fact we were all convinced she would live to be 100 and she used to say herself that we’d have to shoot her to get rid of her! Her daughter (my Aunt) used to phone her every morning but couldn’t get an answer one morning and when she went over to check on Nan she found her dead in the bathroom and a post mortem showed carbon monoxide poisoning. There was an inquest and gas board officials were called in to take her boiler apart to see if it was faulty but it wasn’t because it was regulalrly serviced every year, and more experts to check the chimney and flue but they were all perfect and the Coroner’s verdict was that Nan’s death had been caused by the freak very heavy winds during the previous night that must have blown the CM fumes back down the chimney but Nan obviously couldn’t smell them. Such a very sad waste of a life that still very much worth living.

couldnt agree more susie , my nephew aged 10 went to bed one night and unfortunately never woke up again due to a leak from next doors boiler into the passage with his bedroom above , sad waste of life

hi and thanks for all the replies

the guy from transco couldn’t find anything obvious but he turnes off the gas supply. i had to get the boiler checked by the engineer who installed it. he came this morning and the boiler is perfectly ok.

the gas hob could be an issue. the flame is blue (good) but he could not check it.

i just need a new detector now.

carole x

Carol It is good to know that the gas and burners are ok. A CO detector should not be used in place of regular maintenance. If you follow the thred as look at the kiddie not as it is kite marked and meets the correct EN (was bs) In fact ant CO detector that meets the above criteria. Mike

Hi Flowtech Cost could be an issue here-come MS surreres rely on benefits- a lot of cash Some cannot raise Hoover to clean cell What if they damage cell whilst cleaning What is the battery life? Why have you not migrated to 868Mhz as it is more stable. Can the sinal be jammed, as it is radio Is there low battery warning What is he life of the battery What size battery An excellent idea and the promo liststhe EN for combustible gases not CO but still could be out of price range. For best coverage for CO LEAKAGE A detector should be used at each source Cooker, fire, boiler. Mike

Hi Just playing devils advocate. As the detectors are mains power do they have battery back up as smoke detectors in new dwellings. Mike