Car Advice

Hi there,

I’m new to the forum and wondered if anyone might be able to help with some car advice?

I look after my Mum who was diagnosed 18 months ago with RRMS at the age of 60. She manages to get about the house using a rollator but for longer distances we use a wheelchair. I am looking to replace my car in the next few months and I am looking for something a bit more accessible for Mum. I currently drive a Punto which can fit the fold up wheelchair or the rollator but not both and it is really too low down to be comfortable for her.

I’m looking for a small engined manual car which is a bit higher off the ground which would possibly fit both items at the same time. (Not too much to ask I don’t think!) Would anyone have any recommendations or advice?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Kirsten x

Hello Kirsten,

I have just bought a second hand Peugeot Partner Teepee which is an ex Motability car. It has been adapted for wheelchair/scooter use and has a sloping area behind the seats and a ramp. It can accommodate 5 persons or three and a wheelchair. It is higher off the ground and easy to get in and out of.

It is perfect for me as I do not walk very well and use a scooter. Just fold down one set of seats and drive in the scooter.

There are lots of other similar vehicles made by Citroen, Renault, Fiat and Vauxhall. I live in Suffolk and I found a garage that sold second hand ex-Motability vehicles.

Try Autotrader to see what is about in your area.

Good luck

Alun