Can't get my legs into bed anymore.. ?

Does anyone else have trouble getting into bed?!

I’m in a wheelchair, can’t move my legs at all. So I’ve been lifting my legs by physically picking each leg up, and putting it on the bed. But once there, I can’t move them any further, if I’m in the wrong place I end up sleeping with neck bent because I’m too close to the headboard, or clinging to the edge of the bed because I’m too close to the edge!

Now I sit on the bed and just lean over onto my pillow, leaving my legs on the floor. I’m meant to be putting my feet up (due to a swollen feet problem) but that just doesn’t happen nowadays. Legs are very heavy, aren’t they?!

An occupational therapist gave me a leg lifter tool that I looped over one foot to lift it onto the bed, but I just couldn’t get the second leg on the bed! (my right hand is weaker, due to MS damage)

I’m a night owl and usually go to bed past midnight, when the rest of the house is asleep, so I don’t want to wake them just to help me get into bed! Can anyone see a solution I’ve not thought of, or overcome the same problem?

My bed is an ordinary standard bed, but I can’t see me being warm sleeping in winter, by just leaning over onto the pillow - my electric blanket doesn’t cover my pillow!! Help!

1 Like

Occupational therapist may be able to suggest things. There are special sheets that have silky panels and rougher material. Also a vertical post that has a base that tucks under the bed (Known as Parnel loop perhaps) to allow better use of upper body.

1 Like

I also am in a wheelchair with little to no leg movement. I have a ceiling track hoist which can be used to get me in bed, but I just use it to transfer into my shower chair.

I find it much easier to wheel alongside the bed, lift up the arm of the wheelchair and with the help of my partner I roll onto the bed. She then helps me to position myself, but I’ve also got a bed loop, which helps me to move around a little easier.

I’m not sure how I’d manage on my own though!!