Can someone please explain for me....?

After some very strange tingling and numbness across one side of my body about a month ago, I went to my GP, who referred me to a neurologist. He then ordered an MRI. By the time I went to my MRI the tingling and numbness had gone, but I was feeling what (after a fair amount of googling) I assume to be the lhermitte’s sign, which occurs sporadically or when I bend my neck, but not always. Other than that I presently feel fine within myself.

The Neuro said he thought it was the early signs of MS before I even had my MRI and has booked me in for some evoked potentials.

Iv’e had a letter through stating - " resolving cervical cord myelitis" and " clearly signal change in the mid-cervical cord, consistent with an inflammatory lesion."

I’m hoping you can explain this to me.

Thanks

Hi Anon, sorry I can’t explain what letter means, but if you go back to the New Diagnosis page you will see a sticky at the top called ‘A beginners guide to the brain and MRI’ written by Rizzo who is extremely knowledgable.

I hope you have an appointment soon with the neuro? They need to explain what it means.

If it is only one lesion showing it is unlikely to be diagnosed as MS at moment… but I am not an expert and don’t want to mislead you.

Good luck… I hope you can speak to either neuro or GP very soon.

Pat x

Thanks Pat. I believe I’ll have an appointment after my Evoked Potentials Studies.

I have looked at that thank you, but that also goes over my head a bit. The above is all the written information I have at present and I don’t even understand that. In addition my letter states that if I go on to develop further problems the diagnosis would be MS, which is what brings me here.

:slight_smile:

Thanks Pat. I believe I’ll have an appointment after my Evoked Potentials Studies.

I have looked at that thank you, but that also goes over my head a bit. The above is all the written information I have at present and I don’t even understand that. In addition my letter states that if I go on to develop further problems the diagnosis would be MS, which is what brings me here.

:slight_smile:

Hi again Anon, it is possible it’s something called Clinically Isolated Syndrome or CIS.

This is when there has been some symptoms of MS and sometimes a lesion or lesions showing on the brain on MRI.

For MS to be diagnosed, there needs to be more than one lesion separated by space and time… in other words in different parts of the brain that have occured at different times. Without this showing on MRI they cannot dx MS.

CIS is when there is one period of symptoms that then stop and quite possibly will never come back, and that lesions separated in space and time are not showing on MRI.

Hope that makes sense? And my explanation might not be 100% accurate as I’m only a person with MS who has picked up a bit of info along the way.

I’m not saying CIS is what you have… but it is a possibility. It would also explain why the letter says ‘that if you develop further problems’… in other words they do not think that you will necessarily develop further problems.

Anyway, for now, try to rest and relax as much as you can. It can take ages to get a dx of MS… mine took 2 years and many people on here have waited much longer… so it could be a long haul and it could also never be MS or cause any further problems.

Really hope you get some answers soon,

Pat x

Hello and welcome :slight_smile:

“resolving cervical cord myelitis” means damage to the spinal cord in your neck that is now getting better.

“signal change in the cervical cord, consistent with an inflammatory lesion” means a bright spot on the image of your spinal cord in your neck that looks like a patch of damage caused by inflammation.

MS causes inflammatory lesions, but there are other causes too, including some things that are one offs, but IF you were to develop more symptoms or have another attack that also showed inflammatory lesions, then MS would be a very likely candidate.

Hope that helps.

Karen x

Thank you. :slight_smile:

Had my VEP today. I’ll let you know when I get the results.

Hi, am so new to all this, don’t even know we’re to begin, I do know I’m scared as hell tho, having another two MRI scans next week, long history of symptoms, most recently in my eye, to be honest I don’t know if I’m feeling this bad BECAUSE the neuros talking ms and I’m looking for symptoms, questioning myself ALL the time…

Hello and welcome :slight_smile:

It’s best to start a new thread so everyone sees your post, but let me just say that what you’re feeling is perfectly normal. It does get easier, but for now just go with the flow and take it one step at a time: no thinking ahead (if you can!)! Hopefully you’ll get some answers soon and then you’ll have something concrete to work with.

Karen x

Hi,
Just to update those of you who helped explain for me.
After my latest app with the Neuro I’m now to wait and see. As I have currently only had one lesion (from which the symptoms have still not completely gone) I’m now hoping to not have another. If so the official diagnosis would be MS.

Thanks and best wishes to all out there. xxx