Forum

Can GP say this?

Hi all not been on for quite some time. I have been suffering from severe chest pain which goes under breasts and around to my back can happen every couple of weeks or once a month. Had endoscopy, ultrasound and other tests. Hospital have put me on beta blockers cos heartbeat irregular. I am convinced this is to do with MS so I asked my GP to refer me back to neuro she said just anxiety ‘you do not have MS’ but will refer me anyway. I last saw a neuro for the last time about 18 months ago told me imperative to get a further mri to check any changes, never got that appointment. Feel now GP will refer me but will say she thinks its anxiety so what is the point in going, had LP and every other test before. Can a GP say for sure that you do not have MS maybe a question for Rizzo.

Thanks Jan

Karen (Rizzo) is on holiday in Australia. Not every single question needs to be answered by her.

Nobody can say “for sure” you do not have MS, because there is no test that absolutely proves OR disproves it. But what they can do is look at all the evidence, and say whether it’s likely or not. Your GP clearly doesn’t think it’s at all likely, but she’s referring you anyway, so what’s the problem?

It doesn’t really matter what she says/thinks, as long as she’s not blocking further investigation.

However, I’m perplexed that despite remaining “convinced” you have MS, you feel there’s no point in going. It’s completely up to you whether you do or not, but if you have an unshakeable belief you have MS, and you’re being offered another chance to see the neuro, why would you not take them up on that? If he wanted you to have an MRI, then at the very least, you can ask what happened to that. In fact, I’m surprised you didn’t raise with the GP that you haven’t had a scan that was previously described as “imperative”. The neuro should write to the GP a summary of everything that was discussed/agreed upon at your appointment, so if he said it was “imperative” to get another scan, the GP should have a record of that.

Not everything always works as seamlessly as it should, though, so if you know you were supposed to have some scan or test that never turned up, sometimes you have to take the initiative, and ask what happened to it.

Tina

I am not a medical professional but the issue you describe sounds very much like the ‘MS Hug’. This is caused by spasms of the diaphragm and can often be eased using a small dose of diazepam.

Get a referral and let the neurologist know about this.

Liz