Breathing problems with cough

Hi,

I’m having breathing problems when coughing and wondered if anyone out there has had any similar experience.

I’m suffering with a cough for the first time since I was diagnosed with MS 3 years ago. The coughing fits are out of control - So much so that I don’t feel safe to drive. But the thing that is really bothering me is that, after one of these fits, I cannot breath for about 30 seconds. I am fighting to suck air into my lungs but it won’t happen. In fact, I think air is being sucked into my stomach instead because when it’s over, I burp it all out. This all happens about 5 to 10 times a day, but always when I wake.

2 years ago, I had swallowing problems associated with my MS - And it was a little similar to this in some ways - There’s some gadget in your throat that decides whether you’re swallowing food or breathing air, and that got confused then, so I wondered if it is getting confused now, triggered by the cough.

Has anyone out there had a similar experience? If yes, please let me know how it went. I’m hoping that getting rid of the cough will get rid of the breathing problem.

Thanks

Dave

hi dave

that sounds scary.

see your gp, maybe be a referral to speech therapy who know what’s what in that area.

i do the breathworks mindfulness meditation and the breathing really helps me.

try exhaling slowly by blowing out through your mouth. then, hopefully, you will inhale automatically.

take care

carole x

Hi Dave, can’t really help on this sorry, but I do have the swallowing problem & struggling for breath during these episodes. Never discussed with DR’s, not yet anyway.

Could be something else going on it does sound like you need to get it checked out,I’m a smoker and have previously suffered this if I have a chest infection. not seen anyone discuss this problem on the forum yet will be interested on others comments.

Pauline

hiya dave

could it be spasms in throat? if yes i have experience of this-ongoing…and blooming scary!

ellie

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. Ellie - Yes it is like a spasm in my throat, in the same way I get spasms in my legs sometimes. Carole - I saw a speech therapist 2 years ago when I had bad swallowing issues so if it doesn’t go soon, I will try to see her again as she was very helpful with that problem. Pauline - I hope you find something helpful to you.

It doesn’t happen when I don’t cough, so I guess I just have to be patient and wait for the cough to go. My theory is that MS is to blame for reacting this way to coughing. But then, I don’t know about you all, but I have a tendency to blame everything on MS and I’m sure that’s not always right.

Anyway - Hope you’re all having nice holidays and wish you a good 2015.

Dave

Chest infection? I have one and I will happily share it with you!

Pool’s