book recommendation

lets start a post about good books.

not serious literary debates just books you’ve enjoyed

i always stuck to old favourites - jane eyre, fried green tomatoes at the whistle stop cafe, the secret life of bees (anything about the deep south)

but recently i’ve had a big splurge

just finished the ocean at the end of the lane by neil gaiman

it was brilliant, weird, surreal and wise.

the one before was the universe versus alex wood which was very different and well worth a read

next up is the man who climbed out of the window and disappeared.

carole x

ps sorry i’ve forgotten the authors of the last two but it’ll come to me

thanks Carole - I was actually two minutes away from posting about a book I read recently - The Not-So Secret Emails Of Coco Pinchard by Robert Bryndza. I actually laughed out loud when I read it and immediately bought the sequel and read it in less than 24 hours (can I blame insomnia?)

Both books are very cheap for the Kindle and I am eagerly awaiting book 3 - can’t recommend them enough.

I’ll hunt out some more.

Jelly BellyKelly x

My favourite off the wall author has to be Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaimon. My favourite chick lit is anything by Marion Keyes and Jane Green. One book I read recently is Before I Go To Sleep by SJ Watson, think they have only written the one book but I thoroughly enjoyed it, could not put it down. I got a Kindle last Christmas and even though I had about 300 books that I read many times over, I had to buy them all again for the Kindle, I go through about 2 or 3 books a week. Linda x

I’ve just read the neil gaiman one too and enjoyed it. My favourite recently was a book called Witch Light but can’t remember the author A

JBK.

On your recomendation, I have “borrowed” it from Amazon and will start it when I have time. Judging by the reviews, I will not be able to put it down so need to allocate a couple of days where the hubby and daughter can fend for themselves.

Angela x

At the moment I’m reading and re-reading all of Trisha Ashley’s books. Love them all so hard to choose a favourite but out of them I think it would be ‘Chocolate Shoes and Wedding Blues’. Also anything by David Eddings, Katherine Kerr or Melanie Rawn. I find authors I like and then just get absorbed in all their books so can never decide on favourite titles. Also Maya Angelou’s ‘I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings’. One that you need a hankie for is ‘The Mummyfesto’. Can’t remember who wrote it but it’s quite new.

Sharon x

I have read The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out Of The Window And Disappeared, I really enjoyed it.

I am currently reading One Hundred Years of Solitude - no idea why since I hated Love in the Time of Cholera and I am a bit over halfway and fed up.

Loved Game of Thrones, which I read recently. And I also read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime, which was brilliant.

I love the books by Brent Weeks and James Barclay wont put the titles as cant remember most of them but all brilliant! also my all time fave have to be the books David Gemmell wrote…they are all fab in my opinion. I tend to read sci-fi/fantasy but loved the fifty shades of grey series. Kate x x

The storyteller by Jodie picoult was fab couldn’t put it down! Also reading the crossfire series by Sylvia day on the 3rd one but a bout of optic neuritis had kinda stopped me reading it but didn’t want to get to the end anyway lol! They’re a bit risqué but a fab read total distraction from reality and a hundred times better than 50 shades!..Emma x

I haven’t read anything in ages (actually, probably the diary of a sumissive or some such smut my hubby got me after I’d read 50 shades lol) So good recommendations are a must :slight_smile: JellyBellyKelly, that does sound good, so does Sylvia Day Emma.

Linda, I LOVE Marian Keyes too, I’ve read all of hers.

No recommendations from me today, as I just haven’t read for ages tsk

Sonia x

I’ve read som fab books lately. Can’t remember authors for some but these spring to mind: Where d’you go Bernadette? by Maria semple The shining girls by Lauren Beukes Gone Girl by (I think) Gillian Flynn The Dinner by Herman Koch I love reading. During recent relapse I couldn’t read cause had problems with eye movement making my dizzy and sick and I was devastated more by that than other symptoms :frowning:

Hiya

Great idea for a thread. I love reading but unfortunately my rubbish memory means I can’t really keep track of ‘story’ books so I tend to read biography type books the most these days as you don’t really need to remember the start to keep up with the story.

I’ve recently read A Street Cat named Bob and the follow up, The World According to Bob. By James Bowen. They are about a man who was a recovering addict who had been homeless and was busking and selling the Big Issue to get by in life. One day he meets a cat who decides that he wants to adopt James and be his companion. James calls this cat Bob and their story is a really good, easy read. You may think it sounds depressing but it’s a really positive story of friendship and other good stuff.

I’ve just started reading It’s All About Treo which so far is really good and quite funny, considering the subject matter…Treo is an dog in the British army that was awarded a medal for bravery for services in Afghanistan. It’s written from the view point of his handler and owner who obviously knows and loves his dog loads.

I’ve also been reading Paul O’Grady’s autobiography’s (2 down 1 to go). He writes just like he talks, so if you like watching him, you’ll love the books.

Sue

x

The last novel I read was The Book Thief, by Markus Zusack. When I finished it I didn’t think I’d ever be able to read another book, as nothing could ever compare. It’s very much a slow burner - it starts off more about the main character’s life, rather than being a plot-driven book. But I became so involved in the character’s lives, caring deeply about them. It’s beautifully written too - some of the descriptions and turns of phrase are wonderful (as you’d hope for a book about a girl whose life, as the cover says. is saved by the power of words.)

The synopsis sounds pretty depressing - a story of a girl living in WW2 Germany, narrated by death - and inevitably there are moments of tragedy, but it is also beautiful and life affirming. Highly recommended.

Dan

Anything by Kate Mosse - Labryinth, Sepulchre and The Winter Ghosts just drew me into a different world.

Karen Maitland - Company of Liars and The Owl Killers. She has written some others which I haven’t read yet but I will do as I love her style of writing.

Tracey x

Oh yes Dan - the Book Thief is an amazing book. Definitely one of the best books I’ve ever read. I would add Bird Song by Sebastian Faulkes to my list of all time faves as well as Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha by Roddy Doyle, On Beauty by Zadie Smith, A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini and If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things by Jon McGregor. Could go on forever - have probably read an average of a book a week for the last 30 years!

The book thief…someone recommended that one to me and after reading this post it’s jogged my memory!..it seems right up my street I really like books to do with WW2 am gonna have to buy this I think so thanks Emma x

In fact I’ve just gone onto amazon and bought it! Hope my eye behaves so I can read it!! Emma x

I’m currently reading Rivers of London, by Ben Aaronovitch, and loving it so much I’ve already bought the sequel.

l read a lot - and do try all sorts of genre in books. lf you are a fan of Marian Keyes - then l feel positive that you will love the books by lsla Dewar - scottish author. Her ‘Keeping up with Magda’ - is one of those books that you go back and read again.l have read all of them - up to date - so can’t wait for her to publish more. Jodi Picolt is another author l love - and Joanne Harris.

Thriller/detective books - l love Tess Geritseens and Lisa Gardner - can’t get enough of these.

l read The Bookseller of Kabul - one of those books we should all read just to get some idea of what life is like for the women and children in Afghanistan.

Most of my books l get via amazon - usually just pay a penny plus the postage. But did do well at the local library yesterday and picked up 7 books that l can’t wait to get into. Any books that l have purchased that are in excellent condition - l do pass on to the library - after all my friends have read them.

Noticed in Matalan - a Sound Pillow - it is a pillow that you can connect your mp3-ipod-cd player etc to - and when lying in bed you can listen without earphones.

Have just bought the coco pinchard books for my kindle. In bed, feeling sorry for myself so need a good laugh! Will report back…