book recommendation

Have you read “A Thousand Splendid Suns” by Khaled Hosseini? That also gives you real insight into life in Afghanistan. When I finished reading it haunted me for weeks. It certainly made me view the news in a different light; the news very rarely focuses on things from women’s perspective.

Tracey x

thanks all

i’ll make a wish list now.

i’ve only just got back into reading because for 2 years after dx i didnt have the attention span.

going for HBOT made me start reading again because its so boring in the tank

carole x

Can thoroughly recommend any of Lesley Pearce’s books

Again, not a book, but an author (or two):

Sharon Lee (and husband Steve Miller) the whole “Liaden Universe” set.
Found this by chance on the 'net, and now I am downloading in batches and almost overdosing on them.
If you like the sort of SF that combines a well constructed society with plenty of action - this is for you.

Geoff

I thought I would add some authors to check out

Detective fiction - I do like John Connolly books about Charlie Parker - very well written - they are 99% detective with a frisson of a ghost here and there. Also if you want somethign off beat try Felidae by Akif Pirincci. The ‘detective’ is a cat investigating the murder of another cat. But you tend to forget in places that he is a cat.

Horror - I’ve always preferred James Herbert over Stephen King. Currently I’m reading The Dark by Herbert.

Romance - Sylvia Day is very good - both historical and modern but is a little bit more racy than Jude Deveraux or Johanna Lindsey. Also try the Thoughtless trilogy by S C Stephens.

Sci-Fi - modern ones - Greg Bear is quite good and I do love Douglas Adams

Humour - my fav has to be Terry Pratchett - his books were the reason I bought a kindle. I wanted them all but had no space for them. Very funny but very clever. And Jasper Fforde books about Thursday Next (first one is called The Eyre Affair) - again very funny & clever. If you have read lots of classics you will love the references in the Thursday Next books.

Finally my favourite Genre - Fantasy. Too many authors to count - Terry Brooks, Terry Goodkind, David Eddings, Raymond E Feist, Robert Jordan, Katherine Kerr, Tracey Hickman etc … Two I want to mention that are less well know are Katherine Kurtz (Deryni Series) and Janny Wurts, the latter in particular. Her Wars of Light and Shadow series is amazing, you can’t just skim these books they are so rich in detail and its so obvious she has done her homework.

Ok that should keep you all going.

JellyBellyKelly (who likes to read)

i started reading “the woman who went to bed for a year”

its really funny and i just lie on the sofa snorting and hooting with laughter.

hubby looked a bit worried about me!

i have a huge pile of new books to get through

happy days

carole x

I love everything by John Steinbeck, especially The Pearl. That’s a beautiful book. :slight_smile:

For some reason I really like more fantsy, pshychological thrillers and zombie fiction type books but with a good sense of humour. So, I would highly recommend Mark Trufo (Zombie Fallout series), Shaun Chesser, Dean Koonts (particularly the Odd Thomas series) and Jeffery Deaver. :slight_smile:

William Horwood’s Hydden World series books are very good. I’ve read the first two but I’m not sure if the third is out yet.

Just finished The Colour of Milk by Nell Leyshon

Very slim book, very ‘real’ serious goosebumps at the end.

Worth reading.

Liz

Have you ever been lent a book - and you pick it up and look at the cover - then put it down as you think you will ‘never read that’. This happened to me - and l past the book onto my friend - it came back and l lent it to my mum. Then when l was out of books to read l did pick it up again and started to read it. You know what l am going to say - yes - l could not put it down.

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry. Rachel Joyce.

lt was a Richard and Judy summer read. At first, apparently, it was a story read on Radio 4. Read by many well known actors.

l shall be looking to see if l can find another by this author.

Happy Reading everyone

I’ve read Harold Fry, nice book, funny, moving.

The Book Thief is a serious contender for the best book I have ever read, absolutely loved it. And I second the recommendation for Thousand Splendid Suns. Fascinating insight into life as a woman in Afghanistan under Taliban rule.

Another book I would recommend that is a bit under the radar is The Woodcutter by Kate Denley. I’ve been really lazy and added the blurb from Amazon.

Deep within the Wood, a young woman lies dead. Not a mark on her body. No trace of her murderer. Only her chipped glass slippers hint at her identity.

The Woodcutter, keeper of the peace between the Twelve Kingdoms of Man and the Realm of the Faerie, must find the maiden’s killer before others share her fate. Guided by the wind and aided by three charmed axes won from the River God, the Woodcutter begins his hunt, searching for clues in the whispering dominions of the enchanted unknown.

But quickly he finds that one murdered maiden is not the only nefarious mystery afoot: one of Odin’s hellhounds has escaped, a sinister mansion appears where it shouldn’t, a pixie dust drug trade runs rampant, and more young girls go missing. Looming in the shadows is the malevolent, power-hungry queen, and she will stop at nothing to destroy the Twelve Kingdoms and annihilate the Royal Fae…unless the Woodcutter can outmaneuver her and save the gentle souls of the Wood.

Blending magic, heart-pounding suspense, and a dash of folklore, The Woodcutter is an extraordinary retelling of the realm of fairy tales.

I liked the TV series ‘The White Queen’ so thought I would give the book a go… nearly at end and have really loved it.

I always thought Philippa Gregory would be too light (and in fact tried ‘The Other Boleyn Girl’ and did find it too light) but ‘The White Queen’ is brilliant and has really helped me understand the War of the Roses which is such a confusing time in history.

Have already bought ‘The Red Queen’ on kindle… it’s the next in a series of 5 books on the War of the Roses or, as Gregory calls it, the Cousin’s War.

Highly recommend if you like history but find your MS brain gets confused with the more academic books.

Pat x

I have The Red Queen on my bookshelf as I picked it up thinking it would be a good read but didn’t realise there was one before it so I still haven’t read it as I need to get The White Queen first. I wish the blurb on the back would make these things clear for those of us with ditsy brains …

Tracey x

[/quote]

I have The Red Queen on my bookshelf as I picked it up thinking it would be a good read but didn’t realise there was one before it so I still haven’t read it as I need to get The White Queen first. I wish the blurb on the back would make these things clear for those of us with ditsy brains …

Tracey x

[/quote]

Hi Tracey, you don’t need to read them in order. Each book is about a different woman involved in the events and told in that woman’s voice… so all the books are the same story, that of the War of the Roses, but from a different woman’s point of view. Go ahead and read The Red Queen first, it won’t matter.

Pat x

I have very varied taste in reading but love Margaret Atwood.just finished Maddaddam, after waiting months having preordered on Kindle, shall still have to buy my hard copy, hard back to add to my collection, didn’t realise that I’ve got two shelves of MA! I also like Michael Conelly, quite a bit of historical fiction, CJ Sansom, just started his latest, Dominion (not Shardlake) I also love (for dipping into) Damon Runyon, On Broadway

Definitley agree with C J Sansom - I love his Shardlake books. His writing is so descriptive you could swear you know what the Thames smelt like at low tide!! I also learned a fair bit about those times - like where the term ‘Hangers-on’ came from. In those days hanging did not result in a broken neck - you strangled and your friends would pull on your legs to quicken your death.

But don’t let that put you off - they are very good historical detective fiction. Honest - ok I’ll shut up now

JBK x

To be honest, can’t wait for another Shardlake, but would he be up to it? couldn’t be easy with his back. back then could it?I can almost feel the pain after riding so long, plus he fictionally comes from Lichfield, not far away from here, so you know where he talks about!

Oh I also love the Shardlake novels! Hope he does write another… his Spanish Civil War novel ‘Winter in Madrid’ is also very good.

Maude, when is Dominion set?

Pat x