Forum

Benifit check by phone( not ms)

This morning i got a call from job center plus, doing a benifit check.

The caller said that they no longer send ot letters but now do this by phone.

She said it would take 10 mins but it felt like a hr.

Question after question do you live alone whats your marital statis how much do you have in the bank and have you been abroad whilst claiming benifit have you been in hospital in the last 12 months.

Lots more questions by the middle of this i had a huge coughing fit and could hardly breathe (had chough since nov cant shake it of) I mus stat that no personal q,s were asked like D O B or bank deteils and id they had i wouldnt give these out to a cold caller.

Has anyone else had this happen to them, i do feel a bit put out by this and ive never heard of anyone else having this done this way.

Barbara.xx

Hi, have never heard of this and to be honest don’t like the sound of it… I would view a phone call of this sort as quite intrusive. Actually, now I come to think about it, it has been a while since I last got one of the DWP brown envelopes, have you recieved any recent paper correspondence?.

I screen my phone calls and won’t respond if I don’t recognise the number so I wonder what they will do then

Will be interested to see if anyone else has recieved this phone call…

Hi Barbara

I have never heard of a benefit check being done in this way. But things change. If I were you though I’d ring up the job plus centre to ask if this is now the practice. I personally wouldn’t like to give out any information over the phone and I always ask them to put things in writing that way if it has to be done by phone they’d still have to make an apponitment. Also if you have a coughing fit then they should have stopped the questioning and rearranged another time with you.

Love Mary

Hello Barbara,

This telephone questioning sounds very suspect. I am ‘going through the wringer’ at the moment with the Dept. of Work & Pensions, but I didn’t receive a call before the dreaded questionnair arrived. I would try and follow up this mysterious person if I were you. Perhaps you should fire some questions at him to check who exactly he is.

Yours,

Moira

Hi Barbara,

I must say that I have not had this before and I am like Mary very careful with information I give out over the phone.

I still get letters from the dwp !!!

I would be very careful and if people ring me and ask these sort of questions i just say please can you write to me as i do not give out info over the phone.

love Marzie xx

You do not have to conduct your business or answer any questions over the telephone, in this type of salutation I just tell the caller to send the relevant paperwork by post, and I will respond as necessary.

If they say this cannot be done, then the call is probably not legitimate.

Take care.

Chris R.

I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).

If you did get a call from JCP then they would have asked security questions first to check it is the correct persdon they are speaking to.

They would ask things like National insurance number, DOB, children details etc and let you know the reason for these questions. If you are unsure then give them a call.

Secret4asreason

Just want to bump this back up to see if anyone else has experienced this…

Might even contravene laws relating to harassment over the telephone and respect for privacy

Are you sure it was the Benefit Office? Not one of these scams asking questions to take your identity.?

I had an email. I’d ‘won’ thousands of pounds and all they needed to get the money into my account was,

my date of birth, every address I’ve lived at, mother’s maiden name, bank details. Oh yes and my favouite, ALL MY COMPUTER PASS WORDS…!

Funny, but I’m sure people out there would have fallen for it. It would only take a couple of people to make their scam work.

Phone the Benefit Office and see if this was real!

Yes I had the same call about 3 weeks ago…very intimidating…the only good thing about it was that I didn’t have to go in!

i had a call this morning telling me that i now was in the support part of esa, and that my payments would go up and i didnt need to send in sick notes any more. i was shocked that they were phoning me on a sunday. but it was genuene

Thanks all for replying, yes im sure it was the benifit officei wasnt asked any personal questions like dob or bank details or ni number,all the questions were the same as would be on a form sent out by them.

i was carefull not to disclose anything that could be used in a scam,i was just surprised that it was done over the phone.

Barbara.xx

Hi Barbara

Yes, had a call last Thursday from our benefit office.

She never asked for any personal information, just how much we had in bank, have we been out of the country for any length of time, has my ‘condition’ improved ( oh, how I wish, lol) or got any worse…etc…etc…

This morning we received a letter from our benefit office stating “Further to our telephone conversation on the 19/01/2012, we are pleased to advise you that your benefit will continue to be paid into the account you have given us.”

Jacky x

Thanks Jacky good to know ime not the only one, happy it was ok for you.Barbara.xx

]

This morning i got a call from job center plus, doing a benifit check.

The caller said that they no longer send ot letters but now do this by phone.

She said it would take 10 mins but it felt like a hr.

Question after question do you live alone whats your marital statis how much do you have in the bank and have you been abroad whilst claiming benifit have you been in hospital in the last 12 months.

Lots more questions by the middle of this i had a huge coughing fit and could hardly breathe (had chough since nov cant shake it of) I mus stat that no personal q,s were asked like D O B or bank deteils and id they had i wouldnt give these out to a cold caller.

Has anyone else had this happen to them, i do feel a bit put out by this and ive never heard of anyone else having this done this way.

Barbara.xx

[/This morning i got a letter from dss saying further to our telephone call there will be no change in what you recieve, so the call was from the dss after all. Many thanks to all who repled Bquote]