Forum

Bedroom tax

Hi. I’m confused about the bedroom tax. I’m currently renting from the council and claim housing benefit. I have applied to rent a property from a private landlord. It is a two bedroom flat and one bedroom won’t be used. Will i have to pay bedroom tax or is it only those in social housing who will be affected? If i have to pay tax i’m going to have to witdraw my application :frowning:

Fi

Mmm, heard about this recently. I know people who have been asked by the local housing dept, to move to a smaller property if there are more bedrooms than what is reasonably needed.

I say reasonably, because a couple I know dont share a bedroom and hence they need a 2 bed house. Another man living with 2 children ages 5 and 2 (a boy and a girl) has to move to a 2 bed from a 3 bed, but will need to move back to a 3 bed when the kids are older. Crazy, innit?

Best ask the question to your housing benefit offfice, to get the right answer for you.

luv Pollx

[quote=“MS43”] Thanks x

Mmm, heard about this recently. I know people who have been asked by the local housing dept, to move to a smaller property if there are more bedrooms than what is reasonably needed.

I say reasonably, because a couple I know dont share a bedroom and hence they need a 2 bed house. Another man living with 2 children ages 5 and 2 (a boy and a girl) has to move to a 2 bed from a 3 bed, but will need to move back to a 3 bed when the kids are older. Crazy, innit?

Best ask the question to your housing benefit offfice, to get the right answer for you.

luv Pollx

[/quote]

According to the Beeb, it doesn’t affect private sector, no, but only council housing or housing association. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21321113

[quote=“Anitra”] According to the Beeb, it doesn’t affect private sector, no, but only council housing or housing association. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21321113 [/quote] That’s a relief. Thanks

the council want me to pay the bedroom tax as im in a 2 bed flat, but wont move me to a 1 bed flat as they say i have no points, the fact im disabled and have to have the flat adapted does not matter, so as far as im concerned i wont be paying the bedroom tax when it comes into force as a protest…what are they going to do? evict a disabled woman from her home as they refuse to rehouse me to a smaller property?

Hi Vicki,

Our council try to do up here,person told the council that she needs the 2 bedroom incase she needed it for a sleepover and in the end they agreed.

Why not give that a try Vicki,you never know.

Take Care.

Chris.

Hi Fi

Housing benefit is already restricted in the private sector by the Local Housing Allowance. Benefit may be restricted if the house is deemed to be in excess of the needs of the tennant (eg a 2 bedroom for 1 person).

For Local Authority housing, the new regulations will see a loss of 14% of your housing benefit if you have 1 bedroom more than you need and 25% reduction in your housing benefit if you have 2 bedrooms more than you require. So it is not as such a ‘tax’ that you can elect not to pay - you just end up going into arrears which can see you evicted! (Shocking, I know)

There is still a lot of discussion going on as to how to get round the regulations by re-designating a bedroom for another use, eg. for storeage of equipment for a disabled person (such as wheelchairs, etc).

I think that it’s an absolute disgrace and hope this government get what they deserve soon.

Em

im signed up to the bidding system, but theres no 1 bed flats in my area unless i go more than 7 miles away which i cannot do, i asked them if i can go with a housing association and they said i can but they have no 1 bed propertys either as both have joined up with there property lists online, and if i go to a housing association then if i want to go back to the council in the future then ill have to wait more that 3 years before they will accept any housing bids from me, i keep checking the list everyday but nothing, i know a friend of mine that needed a smaller flat and it needed it to be adapted and within 5 months she had the smaller place she needed. it really stinks, all i want is a small flat so a family can move into my bigger flat to help them, but its like trying to get a rock to give you fizzy pop…impossible

Me again.

Do you ever have someone sleep over to look after you?

If the answer is no, but that could change at any time, can`t you use this as a get out?

It makes sense to me.

luv Polllx

The only people exempt from this bedroom tax is those of pensionable age (ie drawing state pension) and those who have a carer 24/7. This regulation is to bring the social housing sector in line with the private sector. Some councils are also bringing in a council tax charge. As from April council tax benefit will be no longer, again is you are a pensioner this will not apply. Basically each council can design its own system in order to save money, I know our council in Nuneaton has elected that everyone must pay at least 20 per cent. This means somebody on income support etc that normally get all their council tax paid will now have a bill for 20 per cent, if they are also hit by the bedroom tax as well it will certainly be a struggle.

Regards Mark

Someone we know who is single is in a 3 bed flat, he din’t want or ask for a 3 bed, the council could not offer him anything smaller. What on earth is he supposed to do!

Hazel

The country let the tories in…now we are seeing them in full swing…true blues!

Unfair on decent people, but I must admit I feel nothing for the scroungers wherever they come from! (racist I hear the thought police yell, no realist) she says bracing herself against the expected backlash even though I am in effect saying ‘to whom it may concern’.

Hey Fi

I am afraid that if you are looking at renting privately and giving up a council or a hosuing association flat then you will have to pay for the second bedroom. Local councils now have to use what is called a Local Housing Allowance and this is calcualted on the rents locally and can be quite a bit less than the rents locally if they are a lot higher than the LHA rates. LHA’s came into force in about 2009. If you also rent a two bed roomed flat from a housing association and it is only you living there then the same rules will apply. I know of two or three fellow Ms’ers who live on their own and have fallen into this trap. These rules for council/housing association housing have only just come into force and it is causing a lot of problems nationwide, especially where I am in the South East and in London.

The only way that it possible to have a two bed roomed flat is if you need the second bedroom for someone such as a carer or a friend/relative who has stay over to look after you. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but is it possible for you to stay where you are as if there is a difference between the rates of the LHA and what your rent is, it will HAVE to come out of the benefits you receive. This happened to me when I rented privately before I moved inthe hosuing association flat that I am currently living in.

As for you, you mad gorgeous honourary Scot Hazel, I cound’t agree with you more about the scroungers, at least the ones who have lived off benefits for as long as they can remember! :slight_smile:

Andy

[quote=“Chubbster”] Hi Andy. I’ve been on the phone 3 times today trying to sort this bedroom tax out. Finally spoken to somebody who knew what that they were talking about. She told me the only people affected will be those in social housing. I’m wanting to move out of social housing and into private. Going on this info i can still go ahead with my application

Fi

Hey Fi

I am afraid that if you are looking at renting privately and giving up a council or a hosuing association flat then you will have to pay for the second bedroom. Local councils now have to use what is called a Local Housing Allowance and this is calcualted on the rents locally and can be quite a bit less than the rents locally if they are a lot higher than the LHA rates. LHA’s came into force in about 2009. If you also rent a two bed roomed flat from a housing association and it is only you living there then the same rules will apply. I know of two or three fellow Ms’ers who live on their own and have fallen into this trap. These rules for council/housing association housing have only just come into force and it is causing a lot of problems nationwide, especially where I am in the South East and in London.

The only way that it possible to have a two bed roomed flat is if you need the second bedroom for someone such as a carer or a friend/relative who has stay over to look after you. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but is it possible for you to stay where you are as if there is a difference between the rates of the LHA and what your rent is, it will HAVE to come out of the benefits you receive. This happened to me when I rented privately before I moved inthe hosuing association flat that I am currently living in.

As for you, you mad gorgeous honourary Scot Hazel, I cound’t agree with you more about the scroungers, at least the ones who have lived off benefits for as long as they can remember! :slight_smile:

Andy

[/quote]

[quote=“Pat”] [quote=Hazelwah] I’ve spoken to housing benefit today who say i won’t be affected. I’m coming out of social housing and into private. God how stressful is this :frowning:

The country let the tories in…now we are seeing them in full swing…true blues!

Unfair on decent people, but I must admit I feel nothing for the scroungers wherever they come from! (racist I hear the thought police yell, no realist) she says bracing herself against the expected backlash even though I am in effect saying ‘to whom it may concern’.

[/quote] Hazel, your avatar is ‘true blue’. It actually suits the Tory party depicting a disabled person being tipped out of their wheelchair, and then no doubt they would be kicked up the filtered word! Pat[/quote]

I feel all the tax schemes very confusing. I never understand things related to them. Do they keep on changing frequently?