Awaiting neurologist but symptoms spreading

Hi my 1st post here. I have all the symptoms of MS but waiting for initial neurology appointment to get diagnosis.

I started with numbness and tingling in my right hand and since then it has spread across my whole right side making me need a mobility scooter to get around and having constant double vision.

The last couple of days it seems to have spread to my left foot and lower leg. Is this possible with MS? I have seen people’s posts about it affecting one side but nothing both?

Also is there anything that anyone can suggest that makes it easier whole waiting for diagnosis?

Yes MS can do things on both sides at the same time, and mine often has done.

I’m really sorry that you’re having to wait for so long to find out what ails. That must be very difficult.

Look, you have a lot going on. Go and see your GP again. He/she might have something to suggest, or some way of expediting things. One option for you, if funds permit, is getting the GP to refer you privately for your first neurologist consultation. That’s what I did, many years ago. I did have private cover with work, but would have paid myself if necessary. And that was back when waiting lists were just bad rather than dreadful.

1 Like

How long have you been waiting for your first appointment so far? Do you have a date set for it?

I’ve had my first appointment with neurology and now I’m awaiting the MRI, so I’m also playing the waiting game.

I hope you get seen soon.

1 Like

Thank you. I tried looking into private but when I’ve looked around me the wait would be at about the same time as my NHS appointment at the end of May. My mam had offered to pay for my 1st just to get the ball rolling but with the symptoms progressing I just want some help asap

1 Like

I got a 12 week wait, which I believe is quite short buty symptoms keep developing further.

If it’s your first appointment with neuro, I believe that you can access this on the NHS app and keep checking for different dates. I did this and managed to bring my date forward 6 weeks.

Once you’re “in the system” unfortunately you can’t do this again but it got my initial appointment in place much quicker.

2 Likes