Forum

Avonex users please advise

Hi, I have been told to think about changing from rebif to Avonex due to site reactions… Honestly I dot want to as I have had virtually no side effects such as depression, flu like symptoms, headaches etc whilst being on it. However the last few months I’ve been getting some site reactions and lumps on injecting straight away and also drawing blood too. Tonight was my leg, it really hurt and left a lump and blood. My concerns with changing are the side effects I’ve not had with rebif and also the effectiveness of the med as on reading up I get the impression that rebif is the one that has had the better results in terms of progression. Please can people on avonex share their stories? Thanks

Googling it and not hearing many good stories. Most people seem to be saying that they have flu like symptoms months after starting and whilst they ease a little they don’t go away! X

Hi i too on Avonex, i agree with what may98 says. I had flu symptoms a few hours after injecting, lasted

for 2-3 hours easily controlled with paracetomol and brufen this was just for the first day, easy to use,

hardly feel a thing, no site reactions, no depression “touch wood” this lasted a few weeks, and it just once

a week! the % reduction in relapses is roughly the same as the rest, i researched before choosing Avonex

everyone reacts differently, it was the right choice for me, good luck

kitty x.

Thanks guys. I’ve only ever had to take painkillers the first two or three times so tiger flu like symptoms I.e shivers etc worries me eps as I’ve a 4year old. Thanks for your replies. I definitely like the idea of just jabbing once a week. Kitty do you still get the flu symptoms and do you still take pain relief. At what time also do you both inject? X

Thanks guys. I’ve only ever had to take painkillers the first two or three times so tiger flu like symptoms I.e shivers etc worries me eps as I’ve a 4year old. Thanks for your replies. I definitely like the idea of just jabbing once a week. Kitty do you still get the flu symptoms and do you still take pain relief. At what time also do you both inject? X

Oops not sure how I posted that so many times! Sorry! X

I’ve been on Avonex since April and only had flu like symptoms after the first injection. I don’t take paracetamol with the injection now as I have no need to but sure this initially, used to take them about half hour before injecting. Ruth

Thanks Ruth for your reply! X

Hi Lisalou, i used to inject at 9pm, take the painkillers and you are supposed to sleep through symptoms? i was wakenend evey time during the night. So, i started injecting at 6pm had pain relief , then more at 10pm went to bed and this seemed . to work for me! slept through! with 2 lots of painkillers before bed. Dont take them now, good luck xx

kitty xx