Avonex - does it help with fatigue?

Just agreed to give avonex a go (the weekly jab yes?). Anyone currently using it, what are you experiences re improvement, and with what? Does it help with the fatigue side of things

How are the jabs?

Any responses greatfully received.

I’m not on DMDs, but, if you’re even considering them, it should have been fully explained to you that they don’t treat symptoms. The aim is to reduce frequency and/or severity of future relapses. That’s all.

There have been some anecdotal reports that people on Tysabri have experienced some improvement in symptoms, as well as a reduction in the relapse rate. But I’m not sure this has been scientifically verified yet.

But for the conventional, first line DMDs, no, I can’t see why or how they’d help with fatigue, and I’ve not even seen it suggested as one of the benefits.

It’s important to be realistic about what you can expect to get out of DMDs, and what you can’t. Symptom relief isn’t what they’re aimed at.

Tina

Hi

Cant give you any help with how the jabs are as im waiting to start them too. However i don’t think any of the DMD’s help with the symptoms of MS just reduce the relapse frequency and slow disability progression.

If fatigue is an issue try talking to your GP or Nurse as im sure there are other meds that can help. x

Hello,

My experiance have been good so far with avonex pens. The first few jabs gave me the flu side-effects, but now if im unlucky i might have a headache. Pain killers sort that.

The jabs are easy with the pen. Takes two seconds to set up and ten seconds doing the jab. I have had no unbearable pain from them or any site reactions.

Its best to see your gp, ms nurse or neuro about side effects. Many drugs and things that will help.

Darren

A very happy avonex user

Oh dear pat, hope you have recovered. I am now concerned I might be making a rash decision, although, without trying how will I ever know. Argh dilemma! We’re the seizures a reaction did the doc say? I had a seizure after pregnancy hope that doesn’t make me suseptical to more, don’t want to have to go through that again. Need to speak to my nurse again I think. Thanks all for comments, good to hear the jabs are going well Darren, fingers crossed they will be the same for me if I do go ahead with the treatment. I have been asking for the tablets, but apparently I’m not bad enough! Whatever happened to prevention, why should it get so bad before giving the drugs!

Hiya

I’ve been on Avonex for just over 3 years, it’s been really good for me - only had 1 relapse so far whilst I’ve been on it and it was nowhere near as bad as the relapse’s that I was having before the Avonex.

I’m not sure if it will help with fatigue, but it should give your body more chance to recover from the damage done from previous relapses.

As for the jabs, the new pen autoinjector is really easy to use, the needle is tiny compared to what it use to be and you can’t see it going in!

Hope this helps

Ruth xx

Hiya

I’ve been on Avonex for just over 3 years, it’s been really good for me - only had 1 relapse so far whilst I’ve been on it and it was nowhere near as bad as the relapse’s that I was having before the Avonex.

I’m not sure if it will help with fatigue, but it should give your body more chance to recover from the damage done from previous relapses.

As for the jabs, the new pen autoinjector is really easy to use, the needle is tiny compared to what it use to be and you can’t see it going in!

Hope this helps

Ruth xx

I was on Avonex for a number of years and it did a good job for most of that time (towards the end my MS stepped up a gear, but I had had 8 good years on Avonex - and that is something I would have been pleased to know in advance, but life is not like that, alas). Reducing the number, severity and duration of relapses is what it is for, as you know, but personally I always felt that the dampening down of disease activity generally was bound to be a good thing in terms of quality of life. The injecting bit is OK, and most people (me included) find the find the side-effects no more than a nuisance - for instance, I did not lose a day at work to Avonex in all those years. Like any powerful drug, there will be the occasional person who finds it does not suit at all, but this is rare and most people manage just fine, so please do not worry. I hope it goes well for you. Alison.

I was on Avonex for 6 months but had a relapse while I was on it so I was put on tysabri which I have felt so much improvement and when I asked my Neuro Doc he said it is because it goes through the damage made and corrects some of it :slight_smile:

Maybe Avonex works that way for you :slight_smile: But I must say out of 3 which is these 2 and rebif I have never had a difference in fatigue so lucky if anyone has :slight_smile:

Hi, I have been on the Avonex pen over 12 months now, I still suffer with the flu like symptoms some weeks worse than others, I have not had any major relapses but fatigue does seem worse than when I was on the copaxone.