Any musicians in this forum?

Hi all,

I am a semi professional bass player in a popular reggae calypso soc.a band. My inspiration is Ronnie Lane re ms but not for reggae of course. I am finding it increasingly difficult remembering the songs I am supposed to be playing. Because of the pressure my mind goes into meltdown. Thank god I still have my co-ordination but I am really struggling with memory and fatigue. anyone out there that is the same? The odds were against me when I started being famale, left handed and white but now I have an extra bonus point, MS.

Any advice welcomed

SueX,

Hi Sue Well I did some semi professional jazz singing for a while but gave it up a couple of years ago. It was only a small side line, with a friend and a PA. I think I would struggle to remember all the songs now if I tried to pick it up. Had just started to learn sax but had to give that up as my co ordination and speed of my fingers just didn’t move fast enough and it is too heavy. May try swopping to clarinet as it is lighter and give my fingers a bit of a challenge …jury’s still out on that! Sorry to hear about your music, wish I could offer some tips of wisdom. I know what a big part music can play in life, after all i met my hubby through singing. I hope you manage to win the battle for now! Mish x

Which band basscat?

No claim to fame I’m sorry to say mrsp83 but a very busy in the east and southeast, we are an 9 pce band doing gigs at local festivals and gigs. We do loads of charity gigs for just causes as well.Our next gig is next Friday so I am going to try and get lots of rest!!

Suex

Hi, “Basscat”

I play sax, clarinet,guitar and key boards.

However i don,t play on the level that i used too.I lost most of my embouchure about two years back. I could lip up to nearly soprano sax. I love music and listen to all sorts. Music is a big part of my life. My fingers have lost a good 80% of there dexterity as well. The tecks of music though i have managed to keep. The other day i was tinkering on my sons guitar. I started to play some chords (not done that for ages) and ended up with Adels " Make you feel my love" My voice was not to bad. I climbed a mountain and it made me feel good. I guess i.,m a lot older than you Basscat. Dont give up. Use what you have. Enjoy it. Keep your music friends around you. They will keep you going. Music is a gift that is given. If you can give some of it to others, you have made the earth a better place. Janex

Ah you made me reminisce. Ronnie was my mucker and he loaned a tape player from a great guy called Reggie Lock. Reggie used to be Joe Cockers manager and was organising ‘Sun Splash’ in Montego Bay; Jamaica and invited me so I took the tape player out to him.

It was bloody awkward carrying that thing and wheeling my wheelchair and although I couldn’t wheel about on the sand the Jamaicans certainly know how to enjoy themselves in ‘Sun Splash.’

George

Sue,

I have problems sometimes remembering changes (although sometimes I reckon I have fewer problems than the drummer does)

The thing that helps me, and I know this easier said than done, is to be as relaxed as possible. I very often have no idea what is going to happen next - I know there’s some key change or middle-8 bit, but I couldn’t tell you what. As long as I stay relaxed then it miraculously comes to me, in a split second before I need it. If I think too hard, it’s gone.

So for me, keeping my conscious brain out of it is the answer.

Dave

p.s. I’m selling a Trace Elliot 15" cab (woof!) if you’re interested.

Hi there, I play accordion and violin, i play in local folk clubs. I sing too. I don’t really find it any harder to remember words or tunes than i did before i was diagnosed. I find playing helps my fingers from getting stiff. However, i can’t play for as long as I used to cos of the fatigue. I will keep playing for as long as I can though xxx

Hello Boss,

In the early eighties I managed to get an LTCL on the piano and Grade 8 cello. I then spent the rest of that decade teaching and playing. Since going into school teaching in 1990, I have had to fight MS for every single day of my new career. Playing is not an option now but it doen’t mean I can’t get involved. I make sure that I get to as much live music as possible all over the country when I get the chance-Southbank, Three Choirs, Snape etc (I love classical). Keep talking and mixing with other musicians. I miss the playing but it’s still a powerful force in my life.

All the best!

Thanks guys for all your comments,

Music is really a passion isn’t it, even though some of us can’t play anymore we still can’t keep our noses out of it ha-ha! I feel so much for you that cannot play any more, I understand when youv’e climbed that mountain and did a little something and amazed yourself, it just proves that music is in the heart and not even this horrid illness can take that away from us. I am so lucky that my music has brought me so many friends over the years. Keep up the music my fellow musicians and as for George, Jamaican Sunsplash, I can only wish my friend! Hope you enjoyed it!

Suex

Playing music lights up the brain like a christmas tree, enjoy while you can.

I play keyboards in a covers band. FIngers still work ok :slight_smile:

oh yes, keep those fingers working because we need them! Suex

I thought I’d lost music. I was ill and full of fatigue. Anyway, after a lot of changes, life, diet, country, I seem to have recovered it. I never dreamed that this could happen. I thought it was gone forever.

Last year I started to sing again (I have an operatic size voice) and it took months to regain the muscle strength after 9 years away from any sort of music. It came back and yet, I was stuck as I don’t know any musicians here where I live. It’s a lonely existence. Musicians need other musicians.

A very, very kind friend (from here) sent me a violin and although I hadn’t played for 31 years, I got stuck into it again. The most wonderful thing happens when I play. I forget that I have MS.

Then I started to play the piano again. I’m not very good, but that’s not the point. It’s for my brain.

The violin playing has changed - I’m playing Irish fiddle music now and when my technique gets better, I’ll go back to Baroque music. I like the Irish music very much though.

There are things that worry me - I can’t sing from memory. I can’t remember song lyrics very well, but I reckon that when I can play the Irish fiddle music by ear, that it may help with the memory problems (that’s the next step).

Today I went to see my GP as I have been having awful panic attacks. She’s prescribed a very low dose of Citalopram and she told me that she knew musicians. The Citalopram may help me to get courage to get out and meet people as well.

I’ve decided to say ‘Sod the MS’ and just get out more and start teaching singing again and even do concerts. Okay, I’m lucky that I have non-progressive RRMS, but for too long, I’ve backed away from music. Never say never.

Well done you! !Keep the faith my friend|, it’s a really hard road but so worth it…

Suex