Annette F

did Annette Funicello have PPMS?

Um, I’m not sure why anyone with PPMS (i.e. most people that look at this thread), I googled the name as not familiar ad found an article that said this, I realy doubt any of us could tell you more:

After battling multiple sclerosis for decades, Annette Funicello died today from complications of the disease.

That doesn’t mean that MS actually killed her, says Dr. Rhonda Voskuhl, a professor in the department of neurology at the University of California, Los Angeles and director of the UCLA MS program.

“MS does not directly shorten the lifespan,” Voskuhl explains. “It doesn’t kill people directly. If you’ve had a very severe form for a very, very long time you can have the same complications that anyone has who is immobilized. You can get pneumonia. You can get bed sores. You can have difficulty eating.”

These days the prognosis for the vast majority of MS patients is better than it was when Funicello was diagnosed because there are treatments that can slow the progression of the disease. “There was a revolution in MS drugs in the late 90s,” Voskuhl says. “Those drugs don’t stop the disease, but they slow it down.”

2 Likes