amitriptyline

Allo!

Now what do you think?

I am prompted to post this after reading Christophers post and Campions reply…

Like many of you, I take amitriptyline for nerve pain. I take 75mg at night. it works really well to keep the excrutiating pains I had at the back of my thighs and bum cheeks. It felt like sitting on jagged glass. I went on this drug in 2000. Ive been upas much as 100mg. I tried to lower it and at 50mg the pains returned, so Ive been on 75mg quite some time.

Now…it is also prescribed as an anti-depressant isn`t it? But in what quantities?

I am wondering if it is working that way for me too, as folk here and elsewhere often tell me how positive and upbeat I am. (there are times when I bluff at being like that).

But to be honest, my natural disposition is up beat. Hmmm?

luv Pollx

Hi Poll,

To be honest, I’ve never found ADs made me “positive and upbeat”. They just made me feel blank - as if I didn’t care. I didn’t like that “blank”, desensitized feeling, and they came with a lot of side-effects I didn’t like either, so they weren’t for me.

I’m assured they do work well for some people, so I’m not trying to discredit them. Just saying they did nothing positive for me - quite the contrary.

Anyway, no, I do not think being “upbeat” is because you’re permanently drugged! How you were before you ever got ill is a good guide, and if you were generally upbeat then too, it isn’t chemically induced.

Of course, nobody is upbeat ALL the time (unless they’re a bit simple maybe), so I’m sure there are elements of putting on a brave face at times. That’s a common - and IMO usually constructive coping tactic - if not taken to extremes. So I don’t think that’s evidence you’re in drug-induced la-la land, either.

It’s a shame people blessed with natural resilience, and an ability to look on the bright side, are made to feel it’s rather odd. Don’t worry, I don’t think you got it from a pill!

T.

Oh right. Ta for that Tina.

luv Pollx

I feel the same as Tina about ads.; nevertheless they do help with my over anxious mind and seem to keep me level.

I have found that taking 5000UI of vitamin d3 has brightened me up though.,

take care Poll

Wendy x

Hi Poll, as you know I do find it has really helped my mood.

I think it’s the other way round though… was an anti-depressant first and then found good for MS… because it calms down the central nervous system.

I think it’s used at 75 mg to 150 mg for depression… so that’s certainly in the dosage range for you… but I have found a marked improvement in mood on only 35 mg a day.

Like everything I guess different things work for different people… but I’m happy sticking with Ami.

Pat x

According to my GP it used to be perscribed for depression at 150mg plus, however it’s no longer used as it causes patients to be too drowsy at that level.

According to my GP it used to be perscribed for depression at 150mg plus, however it’s no longer used as it causes patients to be too drowsy at that level.

Thanks for your replies. Interesting stuff.

luv Pollx