Alemtuzumab

I’ve just read an article on the BBC News website about the currently most effective drug for RRMS in which it states that it works by resetting the immune system so that it forgets to target myelin. Obviously, this is at the cost of compromising immunity, at least for a period. I just wondered how much of a risk this itself presents and do users have to take special precautions because of weakened immunity?; does this coincide with each dose? and so on. Anybody able to comment?

News article about it on this very site:

http://www.mssociety.org.uk/ms-news/2012/11/alemtuzumab-potential-new-drug-relapsing-remitting-ms

I must say, I don’t much like the idea of thyroid cancer as a “treatable side-effect”.

Irrelevant unless or until it’s available on the NHS anyway, which I expect won’t be any time soon.

Tina

Just read it on bbc webpage - maybe, just maybe, it will help some folk but the cost / side effects etc are going to maybe hold it back…pharmecutical companies should be lined up against a wall and shot… Just maybe someday we will get there with a cure…deeply fustrating this MS…but keep our chins up and go for more natural remedies to help our inner well being going…

The name that most people know it by is Campath. It’s been in development for donkey’s years (20+?) and gets some brilliant results. But we all know that, when it comes to meds, the ones that get the great results tend to be the ones with the biggest potential side effects.

As a very wise person once said to me: it all comes down to how much we fear the certainty of our MS versus the possibility of side effects. For someone with severe MS, it’s probably a no brainer.

Karen x

I am looking forward to the day when a great new drug is announced in the press to treat progressive MS (apart from LDN). it can’t be all that long before they find something - please! Teresa xx

Why do these drugs have to have such silly bloody names?

I vote that we call this one ‘Terry’.

Yes what were they thinking of? Must have used the same consultancy that came up with the london Olympic Logo! I had to keep looking back to the article because I just couldnt remember how to spell it, let alone say it.

I have long thought that Campath is the best available treatment for RRMS, particularly the newly diagnosed. Professor Alastair Compston gave an excellent presentation a few years ago and some of the trial results look very good indeed. From memory, there was a 25% chance of picking up something else (like Graves disease), but they have effective treatments, unlike MS.

I think the reply from rizzo sums up the side effect issue rather well.

I applied to go on the trial 10 years ago. I didn’t qualify as I was already on Rebif44.

If I was offered Campath (alemtuzumab), I’d take it. Just imagine, being able to make plans, knowing that your RRMS was going to stop?

I’ve encountered a couple of people who’ve had great experiences with this drug. So yes, I want it, stupid name and all.

K

Presume you mean this article http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-20151891

I think I’ll stick to my Snake Venom that just like LDN regulates the Immune Structure (anecdotal).

George

my neuro told me that it was being aimed at younger people with recent diagnosis of rrms.

carole x

Alemtuzumab is its clinical name. It used to be called Campath, and will be called Lemtrada as its trade name. Tysabri’s clinical name is nataluzimab.

In the three months post infusion you have to be careful about what you eat- no blue cheese, shellfish, rare meat etc. as your immune system is low. You are also more prone to upper respiratory infections. So you have to be careful about hand washing, but my son went to work everyday on the tube with no more than the odd cough or cold during that time.

Many neurologists believe that early aggressive treatment willgive the best outcome in the long run with RRMS, but its very much personal choice- and what NICE and your local PCT will allow