Advice re constipation

In a week, I go 3 times on average. Naturally I cant feel myself going which is the weirdest thing…

I don’t miss going daily - I went vegan in September and I sense my body doesn’t want to lose any possible nutrients - maybe my digestion has slowed…

Lots of fibre, plenty of water, enough fruit & vegetables…

3 Likes

It’s a popular misconception that the human body should poo every day, regular as clockwork. I for one had it drummed into me as a child that it was something I was supposed to do.

In fact, it is regarded as normal to go anything from every 9 hours to every 48 hours. We all have different physiology and diets.

2 Likes

So I am glad to report fruity muesli with oat milk is working great - plus the nutritional benefits…

Going the toilet every 48 hrs now around lunchtime…Constipation is made worse by lack of fluids & lack of fibre…

Dont scrimp on portion size - I have a decent bowl every day…

1 Like

Just a recent update my constipation and dashing to the toilet is a lot more stable since I increased fibre and fruit intake.

I can’t explain how reassuring it is…I went last night - so I know I will be going tomorrow.

Upset stomachs are a thing of the recent past …anyone who has not tried a higher fibre diet - give it a thought.

1 Like

Hello

I’m new to this site

I’ve had rrms for 8 years

I ‘tend to constipation’ as my neuro stated

I take a urine retention pill at night (darifenacin 15mg) and this doesn’t help

After reading the replies to your post it helped me

I eat overnight oats everyday for breakfast. I make them with blueberries, soya milk and yoghurt, chia seeds and milled flaxseed

So, thank you

I don’t think I would have posted a question like yours, but seeing you have done it gives me the confidence to do the same

I wish you well. I hope you get a suitable and satisfying conclusion to your issue

1 Like

Constipation…. in this space definitely not a taboo topic. I don’t mind saying back in 2015 my bowel decided it was not going to play ball. I ended up in hospital with ischemic colitis, horrendous. Honestly, I thought I had had it.

3 weeks later sent home with a bowel that now needs 2 biscodyl every night, I still don’t always go for days. I have added in 2 movicol each day, pulled back on the 4 x 2 sachets ended up with bum burn… No apologies for the openness, as I am sure others on this forum have had the same.

I drink plenty of water and eat all of the right vegetables…but my ‘butt’ stops there.

I writhe and wriggle to and fro and still the bowel does not go…

I hear that my story, is more than jackanory but one of a neurological story :smile:.

@Rogue I feel purged just reading your account! :astonished: I have my own system but feel like a beginner next to you :smiley:

It’s a major preoccupation though and the pain & irritability that go with being seriously backed up are no joke. I’ve found that others (partners etc.) are less tolerant of bowel/bladder than other aspects of our condition. “Not everything is MS you know” - er, yes, it probably is. I’m notorious in my family for taking ages in the loo but sometimes it’s necessary: a complex process of relaxation, massage, writhing & wriggling (great words!), positioning and pushing.

I’ve found that a couple of rounds of Docusate sodium (dulcoease) prior to the macrogel (movicol) can get things going again. Avoid senna though - just gives cramps.

Macrogol is great. There’s an OTC product called Dulcosoft that is either a sachet of powder of a bottle of clear liquid - the active ingredient is macrogol 4000 (I think) and it is palatable and non-disgusting to take. Nicer than Movicol. I much prefer it to Dulcoease, which causes discomfort for me and doesn’t work reliably either - not a great combination.

I love it when we have these full and frank discussions about constipation medicine and other interventions - we’re like a bunch of old wine buffs comparing the marvels of various fine vintages of Chateau Margaux, aren’t we? Well, sort of. :slight_smile:

Absolutely… To make mine more palatable I use sparkling water. Plus, I ask for orange flavoured Movicol.

There you go, not quite a mocktail, but a mock Buck’s Fizz :rofl:. That said I can’t quite see it catching on. A glass of Movicol Fizz please :joy::joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

:rofl: Only a matter of time before it’s all the rage.

2 Likes

nice

I just thought I’d capture an update. Anal massage is my daily habit now I’ve got over any embarrassment! I have to budget quite a bit of time on the loo every day which is frustrating. I’m now getting cramps from trapped wind as well now but anal massage seems to release that too.

I’ve focused on getting a healthy gut microbiome with plenty of oats - the good gut bacteria love oats apparently!