adult social services for hubby and house adaptionions disabled grant

Hello all husbands health very bad and have contacted social services for him as he falls down stairs everyday and is really struggling as many may already know he was re registered 8th aug this year as severly sight impaired/blind also diagnosed 16th july with brain and spinal lesions from multiple sclerosis.He found out otherday his sightloss is due to macular degeneration but also has another eye condition called uveitis which has damaged eyes also and ms has damaged optic nerve.It is all going wrong and we needed help so social services are seeing if we can get a grant for some house adaptions stairlift,wet room ,handrails,step outside patio door,and hopefully heating as lounge radiator and bedroom radiators are not working right thermostat is not working also .We have no savings and cannot pay for the adptions ourselves so fingers crossed we get the grant,be nice to get some heat in lounge before winter sets in for hubby and the kids. xx julie

Oh Julie, I do feel for you and your fella.

From what i`ve read here, problems with loss of vision, due to MS is usually temporary, but Macular degeneration is different. 2 friends of mine have had operations for that, but there isnt a cure.

So I know how worried about this you will be.

Accidents in the home are taken seriously by OTs, when I have called them in. They take our safety as a priority. So when you get your OT in and her recommendations are put forward to adaptations, I hope you dont have long to wait, before they are in place.

You will have to be means tested though and this can cause some anxiety, but I am sure you will fit the criteria for no contribution.

Just watch out though, as when I was going through that process for my ceiling hoist, I was offered about £1800 from the council and that left around £1200 to be found.

We had no savings, as we have spent all our money on equipment and adaptations to my transport and home. We live on an overdraft most of the time.

The rules for home adaptations state that if you have over 6k in savings, you may be asked to contribute to the cost of any works. So why we were asked for that, when we had no savings at all, I dont know!

At the time, I had been told I had MS (a misdiagnosis) so I applied for a grant to the society, to pay for the missing part of the hoist grant. They were kind enough to oblige, which I am grateful for.

Now I am awaiting a wet room re-vamp and have applied for a grant again. I haven`t reached the means test part yet. If i am asked for a contribution again, I will bring up the 6k rule.

I hope things go well for you and my best wishes to your hubby.

luv Pollx

Hi pollx read on site that disabled grand for england is upto £30.000 and £25,00 ireland and i think £36,00 for scotland i think .We have no savings we do not even have £50 in the bank at the momment, we are so skint if anyone seen our bank statements they would cry lol.Money worries coming out ear holes thats the least of our problems.We live hand to mouth waiting for money to go into bank accounts .I bet we are not the only ones to live like this and wont be the last the state the countrys in at the momment.XXX JUE

Hi again.

Yeh, I also think the maximum for a grant is 30k.

And yeh again, we have no money, which will be the same for many households.

luv Pollx

Hi Julie

If you do need to put some money in yourself it is definitely worth contacting your local branch of the MS Society as this is exactly the kind of thing they can help with. Never be too proud to ask for help. It’s nobody’s fault that your poor hubby is so badly affected and he is really going to need the adaptations.

Regards

Tracey xx

Hi, I was told last week that I don’t qualify for any financial help because my husband earns too much. We don’t have much in the way of savings, but my Mum died in Fenruary and I’m due to inherit some money which has been taken into account. The OT is coming out to sed me next week to discuss what happens now. Heather

I was abit worried when told hubby i was contacting social services on his behalf but he agreed and said you did the right thing julie,the lady was very nice and easy to talk to not at all like i had expected.Husband said he could tell i liked her by the way we spoke.She said she has put the heating on application and will be back to measure up for the handrails outside as we have a few steps to front of the house.She said when the local council have been round to look at bank statements ect things can start moving.Kids were not very keen on the bath going for a wet room but i said they could have some different toys maybe ones to stick on the tiles.But i think they will get used to it was looking at the seats you can get for shower rooms.Kids were laughing at the idea of a stair lift i told them it is not a rollercoaster ride lol.Its all going to help hubby as at the momment we have a shower in the bath and as he has to lift his leg over to get in it falls sideways onto the wall.It also makes you feel better to get things done and hopefully will make us feel abit more cheerful.I also spoke to hubby to incourage him to learn braille as his vision has almost gone it is that low and would help him to learn it now before remaining sight goes completely.xx julie

[quote=“julie f”]

Hi pollx read on site that disabled grand for england is upto £30.000 and £25,00 ireland and i think £36,00 for scotland i think .We have no savings we do not even have £50 in the bank at the momment, we are so skint if anyone seen our bank statements they would cry lol.Money worries coming out ear holes thats the least of our problems.We live hand to mouth waiting for money to go into bank accounts .I bet we are not the only ones to live like this and wont be the last the state the countrys in at the momment.XXX JUE

[/quote] lol £25.00 FOR IRELAND LOL NO MEAN £25,000 LOL XX JUE

Got 2nd quote for heating grant just waiting for person to come on 31st oct for stair lift just wants to check something.Need to sort quotes for wet room its all go.Social services sorting front steps already put handrail and step at patio door.Will make life lot easier for hubby xxx julie