Forum

A confused Newbie

Hi all, I have been lurking around here for about 2 years and have been being treated for Menieres/vertigo attacks for nearly 5 years. I have really bad attacks of vertigo with vomiting that put me in bed for a least 24 hours, I have lots of tingling and have done for some years now & many other problems too. Any way my ENT consultant wanted me to have a caloric balance test & guess what it came back abnormal. I had an MRI & got the results via GP yesterday as I am waiting for my referral to Neuro to come through. I have 3 abnormalities to do with the demyelination of the nerves…Can anyone help me are these the same as lesions or what as I am confused??? I forgot to ask which areas are affected & does anyone know if I can get a copy of this off my GP? GP said most common cause is MS but she would not label me. I actually felt relieve when she mentioned MS as I have thought for a long time it could be & I have been passed around ENT departments like a piece of meat. This last year have been in what I call a constant attack with dizzy spells each day, with bad fatigue & my brain function is shocking, which has all been out down to Menieres. Thanks for reading Debs

You can get a copy of your MRI but I believe you have to pay for this and send off a letter.

I believe that demyelination of the nerves is where if you think of an electric whire is wrapped with rubber, your nerves are the same and the bone or something rubbs the rubber away exposing wire i.e your nerve. a Lesion is a an area that has been damaged, a solid lesion could be a cancer or a tumor or consistant with MS where a fuzzy lesion is inflamation or swelling that has damaged an area.

Altimately RizZo knows how to read MRIs and I am sure if you got a copy or found out where they were located she would be able to put it into english for you.

Hope this helps and please dont worry or stres so many people are in the same boat and your not alone.

Basically, yes, I think that “abnormalities to do with demyelination of the nerves” is their way of saying lesions. If you ask for a copy of the report (you are entitled to see anything with your name on it) and copy it here, I can try and explain it.

There are actually quite a lot of causes of demyelination so it’s sensible to keep an open mind about what might be going on for now - hopefully the neuro will be able to work it out quite quickly as you’ve already had your MRI, but don’t be surprised if he/she wants to run more tests. These things tend not to be straightforward :frowning:

Karen x

Thanks Karen

I have just picked up the report…There is a small focus of high signal intensity on the T2 weighted and FLAIR imaging in the deep white matter of the left cerebral hemisphere, 2 furrther small abnormailities are seen adjecent to the anterior horm of the lateral ventricle. Just finished off by saying neurology opinion needed!?

Dr did say I will probably need to have more tests done, but at least now I am in the right place for treatment…for now :wink:

Debs

Thanks Karen

I have just picked up the report…There is a small focus of high signal intensity on the T2 weighted and FLAIR imaging in the deep white matter of the left cerebral hemisphere, 2 furrther small abnormailities are seen adjecent to the anterior horm of the lateral ventricle. Just finished off by saying neurology opinion needed!?

Dr did say I will probably need to have more tests done, but at least now I am in the right place for treatment…for now :wink:

Debs

I’m going to be cheeky and ask you to read the thread about the brain and MRI I did (it’s a Sticky) as it should allow you to work out everything yourself! But do come back and ask me any questions.

Kx