MRI results

Over the last few years I have had bouts of neurological symptoms, which I’ve dealt with as they happen, not linking them, some of which disappeared and others I am still left with. I had an Head MRI in October to exclude acoustic neuroma as a reason for my tinnitus and one sided deafness. This came back clear for tumours but the radiologist highlighted some periventricular hyperintensities which were too many to be age related and suggested demyelination and I was sent to a neurologist who said that the patches were not demyelination and the cause was likely to be vascular. He then asked about my history of high blood pressure, migraines, diabetes, high cholesterol as these would be the causes. I have never had any of these, nor any of my family members. He then said he’d do another MRI with contrast but signing me back to my GP as he expected it to come back normal. The results of the MRI are back and I would be grateful if you could shed some light on what they could possibly mean please:

“There is again multifocal ill-defined and partially confluent T2/FLAIR hyperintensity in the deep white matter of both cerebral hemispheres. Some of this lies in a periventricular location adjacent to the occipital horns of both lateral ventricles. None of the lesions exhibit enhancement. No signal abnormality is seen within the midbrain, brainstem or cerebellum. A tiny focus is seen within the body of the corpus callosum. The distribution and extent has slightly progressed since 2011 (I had a brain scan done then for trigeminal neuralgia), but is unchanged since October 2015. It remains suspicious for demyelination. No other intracranial pathology is identified. Normal flow-voids are present within the major intracranial arteries and dural venous sinuses. The ventricular system itself has a normal configuration and the cerebellar tonsils are normally positioned.”

Purrfik, I’m afraid I can’t answer your question, but I’ll draw your attention to the second ‘sticky’ thread at the top of this board ‘A Brief Beginner’s Guide to the Brain and MRI’ by rizzo. It’s a serious read written especially for the members of this board and has been a great help to many of us.

Ben

1 Like

I don’t speak Radiology so cannot comment on the technicalities.

Is that all you’ve been sent? No letter from the neurologist to you saying what that means and what happens now? If that seems to be your lot (and that wouldn’t be very impressive, quite frankly!) you at least need a proper medic to translate the technical doctor-to-doctor shorthand into Plain English. The GP is a good place to start if, as the evidence in your post suggests, patient communication is not your neurologist’s strong suit.

Alison

Today I finally got the follow up letter from the neurologist about my MRI results:

I am pleased to say that your MRi scan is unchanged in comparison to October of last year, and in addition, there is no suggestion of abnormal activity when using contrast. This was what we had hoped to find. Overall I do not think there is anything significantly concerning here, and nothing that would indicate any specific additional treatment is required.

Yours Sincerely

Blah Blah Blah.

Don’t know what to think or do now? He obviously thinks it’s not demyelination despite three radiologists suggesting it.

Your journey seems alot like mine. I had an mri a few years ago due to left sided deafness where a acoustic neuroma was ruled out. At that time i had no neurological symptoms. Fast forward to this year and have had mri due to various neurological and other symptoms. Radiologist said demylination possible but neuro diasagreed. I have decided to get a second opinion with a private endo this week.

Not sure what it all means and really wanting some answers, sometimes i think it could be ms and then other times im not so sure.

Has your doctor/endo indicated a possible cause for your symptoms?

Christine

Hi Christine,

The neuro says it’s age related vascular, nothing to worry about and he didn’t want to know about my neurological symptoms. I ended up leaving him with a list of them which he said he’d put in my notes (meaning he wasn’t going to read them!).

My GP said he expected his scans would look like that when he’s 70 - I wouldn’t have minded that comment, but, as I said to him, I’m only 55!

Meanwhile I’m left in limbo land not knowing what to do next? I think I might have to go and see a neuro privately depending on the cost. Just want answers I guess.

Good luck with your appointment. I hope you get some answers soon

Thanks, i will let you know how i get on.Im convinced i have spinal cod involvement as my legs are affected. Lots of people on here have been told there was nothing wrong and then sometimes years later they are given an ms diagnosis.

Im 57 and dont believe my mri findings or symptoms are age related, something is a miss …

I hope you get the answers you need.

Christine

HI Christine, i was told all the time there was nothing to worry about with MRI results, BUT I paid for my notes cost me 50.00, and would you believe it i found 3 letters (one was from second opinion neuro), and they all said i had lesions C5/C6 and T1, and each letter was talking about different lesion, and different year. So it was like 2008 - 2012 when i had my MRIs. 3 lesions clear ones too, and demylinating discussed. It was those letters and my other test results being positive which made me keep going. They just simply never tell us the truth. Best 50.00 i ever spent, and i found out all kinds of other things too i had no idea about lol…

My main symptoms are my left leg, and left arm and hand. When is your appointment you did say, good luck with it. xx