8 Years

Was dx’d 10 years ago and the neuro’s advice was to go back to see him if there ‘was a problem.’ Recently I had a problem and was referred back to the same neuro. All my records with him have been destroyed. I questioned this and was told that the hospital policy is to dispose of all records older than 8 years if the patienrt has not had any appointments in the interim period. Any one else had the same experience?

Have a look at the following NHS guidelines http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_4131747 It relates to the retention of medical records. Part 2 (second edition) in sections Download Part 2 (second edition) Annex D1: Health records retention schedules (PDF, 555K) is where the length of time records can be kept and what the destruction process should be. However I find it very odd that your medical records have been destroyed when your contition is still on going. Will be interesting to see if anybody else has experienced this. For example I have retained all my epilepsy records and diagnostics and that was 20 years ago…

I must say I find it odd that records of an MS suffer would be destroyed, after all the condition is very variable and comes and goes - with some quite long periods of remission. Diagnosis of RRMS calls for more than one episode (relapse) at distinct times so destroying records of previous relapses sounds strange. Your GP may hold records of any reports or letters from your previous referral…

The MRI I was diagnosed from in 2001 ‘could not be found’ when they needed it for comparison when deciding if I should go onto Tysabri. I was astounded - the medical profession are supposed to be intelligent - can’t they ensure that they have logical systems around them?!