2 wheelchairs on the NHS?

I’ve come to the conclusion that I can no longer manage crutches in work and will need a wheelchair. However it will have to be a light ‘sporty’ one I can manage myself, not the heavy one we use when I go out & about with my family - however its been suggested I may need to give the old one back if I get a new one (and am I likely to get a ‘sport’ one easily on NHS?)

Hi, Im in a similar postion myself. I have an electric indoor chair from NHS. It just fits thru our hallway, but had to have the doors widened and i still knock chunks out of the woodwork.....must trun the speed down! I would like an outdoor chair, but they are big and probably wont fit the house. I am on a waiting list for an indoor/outdoor chair, and expect them to take the indoor one back. I cant imagine youd get a lightweight sporty chair from the NHS. But if they cant supply you with what you need, they can give a voucher towards the purchase of one. crazily, these vouchers dont apply for electric chairs…? luv Pollx

The lightest normal one Wheelchair Services could give me was too heavy to lift into the car, so I gave it back. (A friend gave me her spare chair and I was completely sold on the rigid body chair. SO much easier!) The only rigid body chair WCS could give me was too heavy, so they gave me a voucher towards buying my own. How much WCS can give you depends on the council though. Some are awful. I was lucky - I live in Hillingdon. They gave me a voucher for £1712! My mum & dad very kindly gave me a very generous contribution and I now have a Quickie Helium and a Freewheel - brilliant!! BTW, if you need the chair for work, have you contacted Access to Work about it. Your employer (and they) might pay for your new chair. Karen x

Hi, NHS manual bog standard chairs are not lightweight, so unless you go down the voucher route and contribute loadsa money yourself, it may pay to look on E-Bay for a Quickie or equivalent. There are some bargains out there, but make sure that it fits you properly. Good luck, Alanbee

Hi I think it will depend on what area you live, but they’ll almost certainly not let you have two. You’ll probably be assessed by your local wheelchair services and then they’ll make their decision, but obviously it’s hard to know what they’d say and what wheelchairs they have on offer. Chances are it won’t be a hugely sporty one. So if the one you’re offered isn’t up to spec then you can use the voucher option, where you’re given a voucher for the same value as they chair they’d provide, which you can then use to get your own one. However you can only use it at approved dealers, so you’ll not be able to buy something online or second hand. And as alanbee said, you may need a pretty hefty sum of money on top to get something really good. I decided to go for the voucher option, and was incredibly lucky to have my employer (an evil bank) pay for the rest. Hop you get what you need. Feel free to ask any questions. Dan

Hi Halfords have a unbelievable sale right now on wheelchairs and mobility aids, rollators etc. I got a lovely light weight chair and it looks really good for £49.99 can claim VAT back original price was £179.99. Go online to Halfords and check it out certainly worth a look I found out about this from a previous post on this site. Jan

Halfords http://tinyurl.com/6bnrscx

Hi there…have you contacted Access to Work?..they may well help finance a w/chair to help you remain in employment…worth a try

Having bought both my 4 wheeled rollator and wheelchar from Halfords at the full price, had a check to see if they are available in my area…NOPE I also tried everywhere I have lived a 100 miles each way and also not available in any of those stores Oh well…least I know I could’nt get it cheaper :smiley: jax

he_funk wrote:

Hi ISo if the one you’re offered isn’t up to spec then you can use the voucher option, where you’re given a voucher for the same value as they chair they’d provide, which you can then use to get your own one. However you can only use it at approved dealers, so you’ll not be able to buy something online or second hand. Dan

Anyone know if vouchers are available in Wales?

Hi If you are in work you can get help from Access to Work :wink: Mary

Thanks for the advice - Have applied for an access to work assessment so will wait & see what advice they can give.

MS21239M wrote:

I’ve come to the conclusion that I can no longer manage crutches in work and will need a wheelchair. However it will have to be a light ‘sporty’ one I can manage myself, not the heavy one we use when I go out & about with my family - however its been suggested I may need to give the old one back if I get a new one (and am I likely to get a ‘sport’ one easily on NHS?)

After NHS failing to come up with something lightweight, I have just had my Access to Work “wheelchair assessment” and the assessor is going to recommend a lightweight “quickie” wheelchair - just have to get it signed off by access to work now! :stuck_out_tongue: