Forum

Writing v typing?

Is this just me??

I have pretty much recovered from my relapse last year - but one thing that doesn’t seem to have improved much is my ability to write! I’ve had to stop taking minutes at work because messages from my brain don’t seem to get to my writing hand quick enough - and when they get there my writing is like spider scrawl.

However - I can type just as quickly as I ever did! It’s a bit weird…anyone else have similar or is this just one of my peculiarities?

Juls

Hiya Juls

I know what you mean. When I write, I really have to think about how to do it, how to spell and how to form the letters. When I type, I just type the words that my brain thinks without having to think of how to do it (if that make sense). My theory on this is that typing uses muscle memory, a bit like driving (you don’t need to think about changing gear), the action of doing it takes no thought, just tap tap tap. When you write you have to concentrate on what you’re doing otherwise, it will not be straight, neat or evenly spaced as well as what you are writing and how to spell etc. With typing, you just need to think of what to type and how to spell.

That’s my theory anyway, if it make sense.

Sue

x

YAYYY you have NO idea how happy I am that i’m not the only one

Thanks Sue!

1 Like

I used to be a very neat writer but now it looks more like a 5 year olds.

Even my signature has changed.

It has got to a point now where I would rather type than write.

I can’t write any more. My signature is a different scrawl everytime. Not that that gets used much any more Typing is my only means of written communication these days. And that’s just using my thumbs and only on a touch screen rather than a standard keyboard. But actually I managed to speed up so I can write pretty quickly. Hooray for technology.

Sue

Not just you, Juls… I type faster and more accurately than I write, these days - not that I need to do a lot of writing since computers and texting took over the world! But I have noticed my handwriting is changing, becoming smaller and more spidery, rather type than write these days, quicker…

I can still write, but was never terribly neat at it…but typing is easier, quicker and far, far less tiring.

pollsx

I had a relapse some years ago that seriously affected my ability to write. Even signing my name requires thought and conscious effort. Typing is easier because it doesn’t require the fine motor control that writing does. Typing on a tablet is easier still, just prod the screen.

Some months ago a reporter asked a teacher whether handwriting was suffering because of the increased use of computers for doing homework. The answer was something like, “Probably, but when was the last time you did more than sign your name?” The reporter admitted that it was a valid point. People generally seem to type more than they write. I certainly do. Yes my handwriting is worse because of MS, but it’s not something I worry about.

Not the same, but similar. I think the action of typing requires way less fine motor control than handwriting - the keys are big and fixed, whereas the pen nib can and does wander off anywhere on the page.

My handwriting never came back, although it is a little better recently than it has been for years, for some unfathomable (but very welcome!) reason. As for touch-typing - my speeds are not what they were because of some loss of sensation and the fact that the 3rd and 4th fingers of both hands no longer have enough information about where they are in space to hit keys reliably. But I’m still fairly fast, and it’s a million times better than it was during that horrid relapse when those fingers were like inert, useless sausages.

I hope that you will find that improvements continue.

Alison

You know the saying “Its an ill wind that blows nobody any good”?

Well this is my MS ill wind - I always hated taking minutes and now i can’t

1 Like

I know exactly what you mean. A few months back I was about to write a card for an ex colleague of mine. It was his retirement party and when I began to write, I put someone else’s name instead of his!

When I started my job as salesman, I wrote all my notes in capitals. In my last job, most of my time was spent on the laptop doing emails and spreadsheets. So when I moved jobs, I found it difficult to write normally. I still do and if I don’t write in capitals I can’t read my own writing the next day! lol

In all these years it had never occurred to me how lucky it was that MS only struck after I had stopped doing a minute-taking-heavy job that I really loved. Not being able to write or type at all for a while wasn’t great for the job I had moved to either, admittedly.

I am glad that minute-taking is something that you can see the back of without heartbreak! It’s an ill wind, as you say.

Alison

I was always quicker typing than writing, but MS has made both a lot harder and slower. With typing it is accuracy that has suffered whereas with writing it is speed and neatness. My problem is very much a physical issue affecting my right hand rather than a cognitive one (at the moment!) Now I hardly ever write and if I have a lot of typing to do I use dictation software.

My short term memory is so bad at the moment I worry that in the future I will forget my pin numbers and passwords. I think I will write them down and give them to my hubby to keep somewhere safe, just in case :slight_smile: