Where do I start

Hi Pam

sorry I’m late replying!

Is it Richard you see at Gloucester a Royal? I used to see him when we lived in Painswick.

I was referred to a neuropsychologist at Gloucester Royal and she was a fantastic lady, she really did know about how MS can affect your mind…I felt she was a huge help and I really benefited from seeing her.

Don’t worry about the possibility of taking antidepressants, I’ve taken them for over twenty years and they really do help, they don’t turn you into a happy zombie…you can still have sad days…it’s my belief they just bring your serotonin levels back up to normal, therefore like anyone you can have happy days and sad days …they just seem to put you back to the place you were in before!

let us know how things go with the neuropsychologist…I wish I could remember the name of the ladies I saw…I had one for a cognitive assessment and another a few years later when I went through a period of being low and super muddled and she really made me see how I could help myself.

take care of yourself Pam,

thinking of you,

Nina xx

2 Likes

Hi Nina

Thanks so much for your kind and reassuring words, much appreciated.

Yes, it is Richard I see at Glos Royal he was very nice to me this time, well he is always nice to me, and he said the psychologist would be there. Hope I get the nice lady that you saw, will report afterwards.

Dull and drizzly rain here, hey ho.

Hope all is well for you, take care.

Pam x

2 Likes

Hi Pam. Like the others I’ve also hit rock bottom a few times, and for the last few years I’ve been on anti depressants and I’m so much better. Depression has often been thought of as a weakness but it’s not. I’ve been very strong, not had the easiest life but I’m more settled now than I can ever remember being. That’s saying a lot when you consider what we put up with each day.

Don’t beat yourself up… You wouldn’t think twice about taking a tablet that could improve your strength or mobility so why do we all feel anxious about anti depressants? They don’t make you sit grinning like a Cheshire cat or put thou on a trip, all they do is settle your emotions down and help you remain calm. I don’t know where I’d be without Citalopram. In fact my mum went on them after my dad was dx with MND and she (who used to criticise me for being them) is now converted too.

You might only need them for 6 months though I need them permanently but i couldn’t recommend them highly enough. CBT is also very good. I had it after a violent relationship and it gave my confidence a massive boost. Please don’t let this get you down even more, as the others have said, it’s nothing to be ashamed of. And we’re always about to help if we can. Good luck

Cath x

3 Likes

Hi Cath

Thanks so much for your very reassuring words, I am going to grab the bull by the horns so to speak and accept I need help at the moment.

I think I was shocked how this has crept up on me and not been able to shake it off, and there does seem to be a stigma at the words anti depressant, like a feeling of weakness.

I also think a lot of us do the same when we are asked how we are and I always answer “I’m fine”, even when it hasn’t been true, in effect being our own worst enemy.

Hope all is good for you and your daughter (((((hugs)))))

Pam x

2 Likes

Pam, it’s good to remember that depression does creep up like that. It’s hard to recognise in yourself. It just feels like life is shite and nothing could possibly make it better. That’s why it’s so hard to think that taking a pill could possibly make you feel better. But it does… as does therapy.

I suffered with it badly when I was younger. Always helps to remember that most people get it at some point. Some people call it ‘black dog’ which is what Winston Churchill used to describe his depression. He struggled with all of his life. Luckily these days there’s good medication and therapy.

Hang on in there.

Pat xx

2 Likes

Thanks Pat ((((hugs))))

Pam x

1 Like

Go for it Pam… If the tablets work then good, if not you stop them and try something new. You’ve nothing to lose but so much to gain.

You’re being pro active which is the best thing you could do!!! Well done!

Cath

2 Likes