what painkillers do you use for multiple sclerosis?

Hello its julie again now that hubby is diagnosed with multiple sclerosis he went doctors to get something for multiple sclerosis pain.Muscle pain headaches cramps ect doctor prescribed 1 x 10mg amitriptyline i read that dose needs to be alot stronger its not working.I read that they do use this ,but start on doses of 75 mg the maintance dose is 50- 100mg a day given as a single dose.What are they playing at down that surgery 1 x 10mg before bed is a waste of time .He gets free prescriptions do you think its a cost thing? i am getting really anoyed with the surgery. What tablets do you use? xxx input please xx julie

ive been taking tramadol and using butran pain patches .they dont do much good and only add to the fatigue and constipate you for a week at a time .im really struggling with the fatigue and the pain now .i had a steroid injection into my back last thursday for pain relief ,this hasnt worked at all .sometimes i just wonder to myself would i be better of taking illicit drugs , would they work ,what ever it cant be any worse than this at present

Hi Julie I take amitriptyline 75mg daily, but I started on 10mg and slowly upped the dose from that. At first it made me very tired even on low dose. Ruth

PS - Consultant told my GP surgery what to prescribe and what dosage to take

[quote=“rufus”]

Hi Julie I take amitriptyline 75mg daily, but I started on 10mg and slowly upped the dose from that. At first it made me very tired even on low dose. Ruth

[/quote] hi .do you now find that taking amitriptyline controls your pain with out adding to your fatigue any help would be welcome

Hi Julie I’m on 50mg which I built up slowly - went up to 60mg but couldn’t tolerate the dose. It helps with my neuropathic pain and pins n needles. I’m also on gabapentin 3 times a day, I’m undiagnosed but probable ms possible me Neurologist recommend dose and what to up it to. Hope this helps Becki x

Hi Jules,

The meds are not expensive ( amptrypline) I take 100mg , I started with 25mg and built up. I find the meds do help. I would ring your gp to get the dose built up. I have read most of your post and even do I am not a gp or any sort of dr but I would get the dose increase.

I wish you all the best.

Dx

Hi Julie,

I was sorry to hear of hubby’s diagnosis, but relieved you finally have answers, and also that it was nothing worse. I know that may sound rather odd - isn’t MS bad enough? But there have been hints, at times, that it might be something even more sinister - I’m glad that has not turned out to be the case.

As for the pain relief, there can be several different types of pain with MS, and it’s important to match the pain relief to the type of pain - though sometimes, this takes a bit of trial and error, because it’s not always obvious which type of pain is which.

There is nerve pain (caused by damage to the central nervous system), but then there is musculo-skeletal pain, which is caused less directly, by things like tight muscles, altered gait, altered posture.

Amitriptyline is an antidepressant at higher doses, but prescribed for nerve pain at lower doses. 10mg is small, but I think is a common starting dose. 75mg as a starting dose sounds excessively high, especially if the maintenance dose is only 50-100mg (I haven’t checked, but am taking your word for it). It would be unusual to have a starting dose that’s higher than the lower end of the maintenance dose, as the usual tactic is to build up to the correct dose - not start higher, and reduce. It can take 3-4 weeks to work anyway.

If it’s muscle pain, hubby may respond better to conventional painkillers available without prescription, such as paracetamol, ibubropen, and codeine. Obviously, if he was on these long term, it is cheaper, more convenient, and safer to get them on prescription (at least it can be monitored). But if he just wanted to try them to see if they help, supermarket ones would be fine. If they work, he could tell the doctor, and get them prescribed properly.

Tina

x

Hi everyone thanks for the information i think he needs to go back and up doseage 50-100mg dosage i read from printed sheet contained in box with side affects ect.Husband wants for nerve damage and muscle pains also gets really bad headaches due to uveitits .Please not e anyone with any autoimmune problems should not take ibuprofen and anyone taking steriods like hubby should not take ibuprofen .We didnt realise this untill hospital consultant told us this and i also read the leaflet contained inside the packet.He was using co codamol but you can only use up to three days at time otherwise body gets used to taking it and stops working.He really needs something to use everyday like the amitriptyline but doctor needs to get dosage right first.Thanks everyone xxx julie

[quote=“geoff”]

[quote=rufus]

[/quote] hi .do you now find that taking amitriptyline controls your pain with out adding to your fatigue any help would be welcome

[/quote] Hi geof and thanks ruth for info i isnt me its my husband suffering he cannot see to use computor long story but no central vision in both eyes.He falls asleep alot can be talking to him one minute turn around and he is asleep not sure at the moment i would notice any difference lol.I will make him appointment to go back and talk to doctor ask about upping the dosage.Most of the side affects mimic the ones already getting from multiple sclerosis so dont think we would notice as he already has most eg tremors tierdness stomach pains headaches dizzness double vision pins needles urination problems these are all side affects and he has these already lol.xxx julie

Hi Julie,

The part about steroids may be true - I don’t know, I’ve never been on them.

But otherwise, there’s nothing to stop anyone with MS from taking Ibuprofen. Many people take them regularly for dealing with DMD side-effects, and I’ve got them on prescription for musculo-skeletal pain… There is always a risk that prolonged use (for any reason) may cause stomach bleeds, but I don’t take mine all the time - just as the need arises. I’m quite sure there’s no special warning, just because of MS.

Tina

x

it just says on the information sheet in the box of normal shop bought ibuprofen contained inside box bought from local store do not use if suffer from auto immune problems unless consulted by your doctor. xxx julie . But othalmologist told my husband he should not be taking ibuprofen with steriods and he was told this too at chemist.

The steroids bit makes sense, as I think it can increase the risk of a stomach ulcer. But for those not on steroids, ibuprofen with MS is absolutely fine.

Interestingly, the only autoimmune conditions my patient information leaflet mentions by name are connective tissue diseases, including lupus, and gastrointestinal ones like Crohn’s. There’s no caution about autoimmune disorders in general, or MS in particular.

I’m obviously not recommending your husband to take it if he’s been told not to. I just didn’t want other MSers who may be taking it to panic and think it’s dangerous. They have only the same risk as everybody else - and all drugs carry a small risk of something.

Tina

stop taking if have nervous systems problems incuding headache and aseptic meningisis then tells about symptoms then says including those with existing auto immune disorders( Such) as lupus.But you are quite right many drugs have side affects all i would say is consult doctor before taking.

I take Tramadol + 2 paracetamol several times a day and it works really well for my muscle and neck pain. I also take baclofen for muscle spasms.

Mags xx

[quote=“geoff”]

[quote=rufus]

[/quote]I am fortunate that fatigue is not a major problem for me. Amitriptyline did make me feel really tired to start with but I am fine with it now. Ruth

Just to confuse the issue here, when i left hospital was pescribed steroids, stomach protector (omaprozole?) and ibuprofen (for it’s anti-inflamatorry use!) I know my M-I-L is not meant to take ibuprofen as she has arthritis - maybe it’s ok with MS?!

He seems like he is in so much pain and his moods are up and down all the time.I m going to make him an appointment at doctors hopefully when the amitriptyline is at right dosage he will get some benefit.xx i am more like his mum than his wife these days lol xx julie

Hubby is on prednisolone tablets 3 x 5mg daily they are talking of upping the dosage at opthalmology please not this is not for his ms but his chronic uveitis this is why he has to be carefull what meds he takes for pain…

He was on steriods on iv drip back in 2000 when first found to have uveitis had to stay in hospital as dosage was that high had to be on heart monitor but he never felt bad never had any ill feelings .I REMEMBER THE DOCTORS SAYING ARE YOU AN ALIEN LOL.NO WONDER 1X10MG OF AMITRIPTYLINE HAS NO AFFECT LOL.XXX JULIE