Forum

what medication is avalible on NHS? WHAT WORKS?

Hello everyone my name is julie my husband is newly diagnosed with ms february 2013 i have been reading about medication on web sights and wondered what is the best medication on nhs?.I have read about rebif and iv steriods oral tablets and injections.My husband has very bad moods and swings in and out like clockwork.His tremors are getting worse memory is going and finds it hard to concentrate he gets ver tierd and sweats alot.He was diagnosed after mri scan by a neurologist and as waiting to see a specalist neurologist in the field of ms.He has lost central vision in both eyes has been like that for at least 2 yrs maybe longer he uses a white cane and waiting for guide dog.We have 2 little children and he forgets their names they look at him gone out,i have explained their dads illness and he cannot help it. Any info gratefully recieved x jue

Hi Jue, and welcome to the site :slight_smile: The kind of disease modifying drugs (DMDs) available depends on the type of MS that your husband has. Unfortunately there are no DMDs for primary progressive MS at the moment. The choice of DMDs for relapsing remitting MS (RRMS) depends on how aggressive it is. “Highly active”/aggressive RRMSers may be offered Tysabri which is very effective at reducing relapse rates and progression, but everyone else either gets nothing or a choice of the injectable DMDs (Avonex, Betaferon, Rebif and Copaxone) which are less effective than Tysabri overall. You can get a lot of info about DMDs on the msdecisions website. There are a load of meds to help with symptoms irrespective of type of MS though and these can make a massive difference to quality of life. Help from neurophysio, speech therapy, occupational health, etc, are also available. Your husband should ask his GP and neuro about what they can do to help. I read your other post and would urge your husband to tell his employer about his diagnosis. MS is covered by the Equality Act which gives protection against discrimination because of our symptoms. It also means that employers have to make “reasonable adjustments” to allow people with MS to stay in work. One thing they absolutely cannot do is fire someone for having MS - that would mean a serious legal issue for them! It’s perfectly normal for some people to want to ignore their diagnosis, but the fact remains that it is infinitely easier to do that when we are getting the right help to minimise the effects of symptoms and make our lives easier. And that means occasionally sticking our heads over the paraphet, before ducking back down again - until next time. Karen x

Thanks karen i think he is worried as he had trouble with them previous about his vision loss without going into detail but hopefully with medication like you say his symptoms may get easier.He will have to tell them at some point but i think he is hoping to fob them off for as long as possible.I think he is in denial though he says hes never been to egypt lol. jue