What defines a relapse? And when to contact neuro?

Evening all Can someone explain what defines a relapse please? Over the last week or two I have felt just not quite right, then from around Friday I have had a very painful left eye and jaw, pressure behind eye with a stab every so often. Jaw is a nagging ache. All other symptoms have increased too, usual suspects like pins n needles, numbness, stabbing/ slicing pains thro body. The tight banding and cramps in unusual areas! Hand tremors have gotten bad too. Balance also affected. My skin feels really itchy almost spiky like I have been rolling in nettles. Feet alternate between buzzing and burning. GP gave me antibiotics for eye and jaw I case it is an infection. Tho there are no signs of infection. So what is a relapse? Do you need new symptoms? Or does a increase count? And when do you contact neuro? Oh yes…I can’t think straight so not coping with every day stuff or tasks…feel ODD! Thanks if you got to the end of this epic, Ppx

Hello PP,

As you have been suffering with these symptoms for a couple of weeks I would contact your MS nurse or neuro, as if you have been having them for over 24 hours I believe this could be classed as a relapse.

Hope this helps and wish you luck.

Janet

Thanks Janet I have probable MS not a ful dx yet so difficult to know what to do. It is probely worth a call to neuro I suppose, then at least it may be documentated and help towards dx. Thanks again Ppx

Hi Polly - if this a worsening of old symptoms or a new round of symptoms it’s a relapse.

I’m sorry you’re having these symptoms. It sounds exactly like what I went through a few months back.

Mine started with stabbing eye pain and then just a dull ache which spread form near my ear up to my eye and cheek and a line of pain up my head. After a few days I developed a borring pain in the same eye and it felt sensitive to light and wind. I had my eyes checked obviosuly as I was worried about ON and teeth checked too but all good. I then developed tight jaw and jaw spasms (my teeth kept banging everytime I tried to eat on one side and my tongue was numb and temperature sense on it had gone funny.

I thought it might be trigeminal neuralgia though my neuro didn’t officially confirm. He’s a bit useless and I’m going for another opinion.

If I were you ring your neuro secretary and get seen. In the meantime get your eyes checked at least to be sure it’s not optic neuritis even if it’s just the local optician.

Really feel for you. It was my worst episode of things yet. Made me feel exhausted and I just couldn’t function.

Get well soon Polly. Let us know how you get on.

Reemz

X

Thanks Reemz I thought it may be TN too, but it is often described as the worst pain ever, and although this is sore and the odd stab it is not the worst ever I you know what I mean. jaw feels achy like when you eat ice cream sort of, oh bl@@dy Nora can’t describe it with out sounding bonkers. I am vey light sensitive though and having to wear sun glasses even when no sun! Waiting for GP to call, as surprise surprise can’t get to see one! And will then all neuro, but like you I am losing faith a bit. Had an MS dx by a consultant he then left and I got passed to a new dr. She said it could be, or may not be, defo something neuro going on, but most can’t be treated so just get on with it basically! Good luck with your second opinion Ppx

Thanks Reemz I thought it may be TN too, but it is often described as the worst pain ever, and although this is sore and the odd stab it is not the worst ever I you know what I mean. jaw feels achy like when you eat ice cream sort of, oh bl@@dy Nora can’t describe it with out sounding bonkers. I am vey light sensitive though and having to wear sun glasses even when no sun! Waiting for GP to call, as surprise surprise can’t get to see one! And will then all neuro, but like you I am losing faith a bit. Had an MS dx by a consultant he then left and I got passed to a new dr. She said it could be, or may not be, defo something neuro going on, but most can’t be treated so just get on with it basically! Good luck with your second opinion Ppx

Whoooops for postin twice my hands are wobbly too Ppx

Like you’ve eaten icecream make sperfect sense. Mine was excrutiating specially as chewing my food was terrible - though I’m not sure it was the worst pain I could experience but then I do have quiet good tolerance.

I managed to get seen by the neuro after the episode had finished and like I said he gave me a pat on the back - your MRI is stable so just get on with it. No - oh you’ve had another symptom I think it could be XYZ or how are you coping

Thankfully as he thinks I’ve had an episode of spinal inflammation he’s said next time I have a new round of symptoms I can ring the MS nurses (that was after I pushed) even though he doesn’t think I have MS. TN is brainstem - not spinal so not sure where he’s going… he hasn’t tried to explain a thing.

Really am hoping for a better experience with the second neuro.

Hope you get seen by someone soon. The worst thing is having new symptoms and not knowing if they’re going to get worse or what to do about it. It’s not right that we have to struggle.

Reemz

X

Thanks Reez I will PM you sweet about your other post and this and lack of good neuros Ppx