Forum

What chance have I got?

Since being diagnosed at 16 (now 25) what chance have I really got of getting into my 30s 40s 50s without avoiding the innevitable fate of becoming seriously disabled? Or completely losing my voice or mind? Because to me I feel I have 0% chance

you could be 70 and asking that same question

I thought the same thing when i got diagnosed in 2007, sorry I’m not going to paint a pretty picture. My walking has really effected,me use a scooter to get around and my left arm is also weaker, I’m just trying to make the best out of a bad situation and sometimes it can be hard… MS SUCKS

If i was 70 and asking the same question I’d be happy but the problem is I’m 25 right now

I’m quite grateful as there’s more advanced treatment now, example tysabri

Turn it on its head and imagine you have 100% CHANCE (LIFE DOES NOT HAVE TO BE REALISTIC). sORRY FINGERS DOING THEIR OWN THINGS AGAIN.

I have disability and its it getting worse but very slowly. My first recorded relapse happened when I was 24 but I might have had silent ones before as I did fall a lot. 35 years on (damn there goes my age in plain sight again) I still get out and about, I can still do things. You can see what if you put my name in a search engine followed by fibre.

I drive a wicked power chair which helps me get up mountains and I now longer shed a tear when I see the mountains (it only took 3 years)…

I started using a wheelchair in 2003 - only 11 years ago so you do have a lot of years when if you wish you can compete, get down and dirty and raise hell.

My mind is still with me - mostly and my voice much of the time. These invonvenient intermitent problems do not stop me from enjoying and appeciating nature. Find what you love and never give it up.

Cheers

Moira

Turn it on its head and imagine you have 100% CHANCE (LIFE DOES NOT HAVE TO BE REALISTIC). sORRY FINGERS DOING THEIR OWN THINGS AGAIN.

I have disability and its it getting worse but very slowly. My first recorded relapse happened when I was 24 but I might have had silent ones before as I did fall a lot. 35 years on (damn there goes my age in plain sight again) I still get out and about, I can still do things. You can see what if you put my name in a search engine followed by fibre.

I drive a wicked power chair which helps me get up mountains and I now longer shed a tear when I see the mountains (it only took 3 years)…

I started using a wheelchair in 2003 - only 11 years ago so you do have a lot of years when if you wish you can compete, get down and dirty and raise hell.

My mind is still with me - mostly and my voice much of the time. These invonvenient intermitent problems do not stop me from enjoying and appeciating nature. Find what you love and never give it up.

Cheers

Moira

I just don’t think it is helpful to think in those terms. Percentages are theoretical:life is real and is here and now. Please try to lift up your eyes from those actuarial tables and just enjoy today - it is all that any of us can be sure of. Alison

Hi Lee

Of course, nobody knows - we’re all different, with different paths. Someone was diagnosed at my work not long after I was. I was using a wheelchair within 18 months, while she was still walking fine without any problems. What you probably need to know though, but which you may not be able to hear now, is that your life is not over - there can still be life even with a serious disability.

After I was diagnosed, I massively freaked out at the idea of ever needing a wheelchair, and avoided reading anything about what might potentially happen with MS. Well, now I do use a wheelchair. And life goes on. I’m not saying it’s all fine & dandy and life doesn’t have its struggles. But in many ways I’ve got a more fulfilling life than I used to. I still work. Later this year I’ve going to learn to fly, thanks to a scholarship from the charity Flying Scholarships for Disabled People; I got invited to a trial with the Team GB Disability Shooting team; I’ve got a seat on an NHS committee that helps decide what research projects to fund. I’m not saying that I’m glad I’ve got MS, but thank God I’m glad to find that life can still go on, and that I can adapt.

I completely understand what it’s like to feel hopeless about the future - I still can, and it’s a horrible feeling. When I feel like that I need to make sure I go back to the things that I enjoy & bring me life, and then slowly remember that life can still be good & have purpose.

I really hope that gives you some encouragement that your life isn’t over.

Dan

Hi everyone

Hope you’re all as well as can be :wink: I feel really terrible and wonder if anyone can shed some light on why I suddenly feel this way. My walking and leg pain are my main symptoms but over the last few weeks it has got so much worse. I was given an elbow crutch but can’t use it cos my balance is awful. I always feel worse in the morning but i don’t get much relief as the day goes on. We have had warm, clammy weather which probably hasn’t helped but we had the same last summer and I felt fine!

I was dx in 2007 when I was 31. I’m now nearly 38 and feel twice my age! I’m just hoping it’s not progression. Can anyone get me out of this 'black hole? I’ve just not felt this bad and want to know what could have triggered this off.

Sorry to be such a misery guts! Thanks.

Helen xx

Of course no one can accurately predict your future. I know someone who was diagnosed in her twenties forty years ago, she’s never had to use a wheelchair. I do and was only diagnosed eight years ago. Try not to worry too much about what might happen, because it might not.

[quote=“HELEN32”]

Hi everyone

Hope you’re all as well as can be :wink: I feel really terrible and wonder if anyone can shed some light on why I suddenly feel this way. My walking and leg pain are my main symptoms but over the last few weeks it has got so much worse. I was given an elbow crutch but can’t use it cos my balance is awful. I always feel worse in the morning but i don’t get much relief as the day goes on. We have had warm, clammy weather which probably hasn’t helped but we had the same last summer and I felt fine!

I was dx in 2007 when I was 31. I’m now nearly 38 and feel twice my age! I’m just hoping it’s not progression. Can anyone get me out of this 'black hole? I’ve just not felt this bad and want to know what could have triggered this off.

Sorry to be such a misery guts! Thanks.

Helen xx

[/quote] Hi Helen, I think you should start a new thread with this question - more people will see it that way and you will get more answers than being hidden in lees thread Jane

Good comment Jane, was about to say the same thing to Helen, not being horrible.