Disability inevitable

Hi everyone As you probably all know currently awaiting DX,had time recently to sit and worry. I know ms is a unpredictable sod… But is disability inevitable sooner or later…stupid question I know but I’m trying to kinda come to terms with my future. Take care Gray x

Gray,

No it is not - and sitting and worrying is not a good thing either. l knew l had MS - before my GP actually said it. This was 31yrs ago. And he said the reason he would not tell someone at the begining was because often a person only has one bad relapse - and may never have another. And telling them what it is or could be can be detrimental to their health. So he waited nearly 18months.

Now of course - the doctors have to tell patients up front - freedom of information etc. lts not always a good thing.

The best you can do whilst waiting is google vitamin d3 deficiency ms and the same for vitamin b12 - learn about the importance of both vits. Look up Dr Michael Holicks presentation of Vitamin D3 Prevention of Diseases on youtube. Both lots of info you will not get from GP/Neuro - as they seem to be the last to know.

You will feel better when you are doing something to help yourself - as it is a disease that not a lot is understood - and you do end up being your own expert.

Hi Gray, eee love! we`d need a crystal ball to find out how our lives are going to pan out!

Yes, we all know what MS can do…but the vast amount of various ways it affects anyone, is mindboggling!

In my early days, I read up on anything and everything about the condition. My hubby was mad with me for doing so and said I was going to talk myself into it.

I never saw it like that. I am someone who reserarches and wants to know from a to z about anything i am interested it.

So Gray, your life could go a million ways. MS (IF you have it) needn`t mean severe disability for every sufferer you know. try not to dwell on the worst side of it.

Even lives with quite bad disability can still be a good ones.

I dont have MS, but a similar, equally disabling condition, I am a full time wheelie user, who needs lots of help, but I still wanna be here and enjoy life!

luv Polllx

If 100% inevitability is what you want, stick to death and taxes. In an uncertain world, they will never let you down.

If time is sitting heavy on your hands, you could spend an infinite amount of it calculating probabilities or this or that happening to you. Most of what life has in store for you would remain unknown, however, so your calculations would not take you very far. Just be careful you don’t step in front of the bus you did not notice because you were so busy calculating the probabilities of ending up in a wheelchair.

Of course I understand your question really. I am sure that you also understand my answer.

Alison

Gray, even with likely PPMS I’m still not able to completely accept that, nor will I til I can’t stand!

And until that day I will keep trying. And if I had RRMS I think there’s a far more positive outlook :wink: I’m certainly hoping/aiming to still walk for as long as I want to!

Sonia x

Every case is different. I was diagnosed at 29 and stopped playing football at 43. I am strongly of the opinion that a positive attitude goes a long way. Sure I am less mobile now but I believe that would have happened much earlier if I had concentrated on what could happen. As they as “accentuate the positive” (whoever they are). Concentrate on the here and now and make the most of life. Gary

I don’t know if I’ll be disabled in the future…I don’t really think about it. I might get knocked down by a bus tomorrow then it won’t matter You make your plans, you live your life. Hope…the last thing in Pandora’s box Gray? Never lose hope. I like to think that God will never give me more than I can handle.

[quote=“Blossom”]

I don’t know if I’ll be disabled in the future…I don’t really think about it. I might get knocked down by a bus tomorrow then it won’t matter You make your plans, you live your life. Hope…the last thing in Pandora’s box Gray? Never lose hope. I like to think that God will never give me more than I can handle.

[/quote] I’m with you on this. You never know what the future holds. Carpe diem… As much as you can anyway! xx

I thought that I would answer your post from the perspective of one who has disabilities.

I was diagnosed in 1995 and had at least 12 years with no change and a very low level of symptoms. I’m Secondary Progressive now and use a wheelchair because my mobility is badly compromised. I suppose I’m what all people dread - “ending up in a wheelchair”

I’m not going to tell you that everything is peachy and that I live exactly as I did 20 years ago. BUT it’s nothing like as bad as you think. Changes happen to your abilities and you adjust your life accordingly. For most people (all?) it’s not a sudden change – one day AOK the next in a wheelchair. By the time my wheels arrived I was more than ready mentally to accept them. What I am trying to say is that should the worst happen and disability enter your life its not the end of everything – read some of Poll’s (Boudica) posts to see that there is still love and laughter.

I agree wholeheartedly with what the others have said – disability is not inevitable but if it were to happen – life goes on after the wheels.

Jane

Thank you all so much,sorry for such a negative post ! Just feeling down at the moment a lot of symptoms that had gone have started again. After all the tests just sick of waiting for results just feel I need to be doing something to fight back. Thanks once again it’s great to just talk about things with others that understand. Take care Gray xx

Hi again hun.

I`ve had a particulalry hard year with whatever it is I am saddled with! Progression of disability stuff, like weight bearing and the plumbing stuff!

But I do believe I will be ending 2013 better than when it began.

Onwards and forwards…wheels oiled and ready to go!

Whatever happens next, no doubt Ill get mad, upset, verbally abusive, but Ill deal with it somehow.

Hope you do too!

luv Pollx

Thanks poll Yea just want 2013 to sod off been an awful year, Just want to start anew Take care Gray xx

Nothing is certain with this disease (had a secure diagnosis since 07). It’s chronic and it’s progressive yes, but the course the disease takes varies from person to person. You may never have another attack. I’ve had 3 confirmed relapses in 6 years, I have symptoms but I learn to live with them as they arise, I’m still fully mobile, that’ll do for me :wink: Stay positive and if you can’t change it, don’t worry about it.

Nothing is certain with this disease (had a secure diagnosis since 07). It’s chronic and it’s progressive yes, but the course the disease takes varies from person to person. You may never have another attack. I’ve had 3 confirmed relapses in 6 years, I have symptoms but I learn to live with them as they arise, I’m still fully mobile, that’ll do for me :wink: Stay positive and if you can’t change it, don’t worry about it.