Forum

How do you live like this?

When your diagnosed with ms, you think to yourself, right I’m 25 years old, being 70 now adays is not classed as old. Would I even make it to 70, what sort of state will my mind & body be in by this age if I ever reach it. You think the younger you get it, in theory the longer time you have to become affected by it. It’s such a depressing frightening thought. I know that none of us know what is going to happen in our lifes but being diagnosed makes it that much more certain. You think I don’t want to die young or early but do you want to be the way you may end up. How do you cope with this? Cause ms gets worse right? I don’t mean to depress any of you but I need a vent.

Im 28 was diagnosed last year. How do i know that when im 70 with or with-out ms im going to be mobile? alive? still me?

I find its best not worth thinking about. We don’t know what will happen day to day with our lives, with and with-out ms. You could flip it we could be the generation to get the “cure”. Or some wonder drug that stops ms from slowing us down.

We can only guess what will happen, best not to fret, i find.

Goodluck

Darren

Hi there.

I’m 29 and found out just last week that I have MS. My world fell to it’s knees. I felt exactly the same as you. It has been awful.

And then I’ve been thinking… We have MS. It’s not, at the moment curable. However neither is asthma. Now I know it seems a lot different, but in a way it’s not! People die everyday from asthma! So does that mean asthma is worse??? Could be!

This isn’t going to kill you. It might change how we do things now, but we’re exactly the same people as we have always been! As for the future… that is frightening… but so is everyones future! No matter who you are!

We’re still young! I’ve still got my plans, and I’m sticking to them! I don’t want to look back when I am 70 and think “I should’ve done that” because by then, even if a cure was found, it will be too late!!!

Yesterday I made a promise to myself to take life by the scruff of the neck, and live it to the max!

Sure it’s going to be hard, but stay strong!!! xxx

Nadine xxx

I find this also helps me…

Sometimes the best thing that you can do is not think. Not wonder. Not imagine. Not obsess.Just breathe. And have faith that everything will work out for the best.

xxx

The thought of being disabled is very scary when one has always been fit and active, but as you come to have various symptoms and disabilities, learn to adapt to them and still get a lot from life, you realise that it isn’t all that scary at all - there are lots of very much scarier things, like not being here at all!

Sure, disability sucks, but it doesn’t stop us from doing all sorts of things. A good friend of mine who is very much more disabled than me has recently taken up wheelchair basketball and is loving it. I use a stick and sometimes a wheelchair, but I’m heading off on holiday to Australia later this year and, as soon as hubby retires, we are off travelling all over the world. Brog64, one of the users of this forum even ran for Parliament a couple of years ago, campaigning all over the place from her wheelchair. Another friend is big into drama and singing - he regularly appears on stage in his wheelchair or using crutches and was rather brilliant in a recent production of Calendar Girls. And these are examples of people who use wheelchairs - most people with MS never even need one.

To be totally honest, I think most people with MS don’t think much about the future. One of the main reasons for this is that there’s little point - MS is totally unpredictable and worrying about things that may never happen is just a waste; far better to get on and enjoy what we have, while we have it. I’m not saying that it’s a good idea to totally bury our heads in the sand so, e.g., as my next house will be my forever house, it will be a bungalow (just in case), but apart from taking some sensible precautions and putting contingencies in place, it seems best to let it go and deal with it IF and when it happens.

Everything gets easier with practice. Give yourself some time.

Karen x

PS MS shortens life span by only a few years on average. I have every intention of at least getting within a few years of my grandmothers, both of whom made it past 90 (without MS). I bet making it to 90 with MS isn’t a record though!

PPS Crikey - scary thought - me, as an antique old woman, still answering posts on the forum :slight_smile:

Hello,

I agree with what everyone says, I am 27 I am yet to be diagnosed, but honestly, If I live to 70 anyway ill be happy.

Most people in my family have died quite young, Personally, I live for the now. Each day is different anyway, noway of predicting how I will feel or if I will fall, I am already forgetful but being male this could be selective forgetfulness :wink:

I am pretty sure everyone thinks OMG at some point but altimately life continues and you can still do most of the things you have done before. My grandad used to say, Live each day as if its your last, because one day it bloody will be Ha ha but if your out, enjoy it, you will suffer the next day anyway. book holidays, do things life hasnt stopped.

And as for you young K, I hope you are still 90 and rueling the forum with your wisdom x

Just to mention the mother of a friend of mine…she spent most of her 70s in a wheelchair due to MS. Was walking again in her 80s and hit 90 last year. She’s amazing x

My husband’s father was making a decent recovery from a nasty battle with prostate cancer when he decided to take his motorbike out for a spin on a lovely sunny June day. He was knocked off by a car, and died instantly.

My hubby gave up motorcycling that day, untill 18 months ago when he suffered a massive heart attack one night in bed. He’s made a good recovery, and went out and bought another motorbike!

Its true to say nobody know’s how their life will turn out, or how long any of us have got.

Hi, I see your post has evoked a variety of replies.

I feel particulalry sorry for younger folk being diagnosed with MS…I was 45 when my ??? hit! I was told it could be PPMS for several years, before I was told it isnt.

But whatever it is…ISP…it has taken a lot from me…walking, driving, swimming, dancing, playing on the floor with my grandchildren, plus a huge list of other things.

But has it taken my lust for life, my joy of seeing a child smile, my feeling of genuine concern from family and friends when I struggle to do something…hell no!..again, theres a huge list of things I still enjoy...........and maybe treasure more than I would have, had I not got this thing` to deal with.

What each of us has to decide is;

do I still want to be here, or don`t I?

Then you make your choice. It`s up to each of us individually.

But please dont give up too easily, think of the folk you`ll be leaving behind, who are devastated that you are gone from their lives.

If your vent has helped, then I`m glad.

luv Pollx

Hi,

I’m 3 weeks post dx now and spent a lot of time in the first week worried about what was to come and where I would be in X number of years.

I’m feeling much calmer now and able to acknowledge that life will go on. I’m still having moments of panic and guess I will for a while, but I think they will get less.

I guess it’s a little bit like a grieving process in someways. You think life will never be good again, but eventually you find it can be, just in a slightly different way than you expected.

Give yourself time, don’t expect too much of yourself and don’t be afraid to let it all out if need be. Find someone you trust and feel comfortable with to talk to when you need it or if you feel more comfortable “talking” to strangers, this site seems to have some fantastic people on it who offer excellent advise and know just where your coming from.

take care

Shuffler