Waiting on diagnosis after MRI?

Hi,

I have never joined a forum in my life and have looked at this one the last few weeks and have decided to join, even though I’m scared and anxious about what I might find out.

I am a female, 33. I had a brain and spine mri on Saturday and I’m waiting for the results.

I have had tingling in my tongue and lips for the past 2/3 months and the left side of my face has also become very numb.
I have had terrible headaches that sometimes go away for a while but when they come back their horrific.

I woke up in the middle of the night a few weeks ago to what felt like stabbing pains in my back. I then had a stiff neck for a few days after and couldn’t move.

My fingers are constantly with pins and needles and Iv found it difficult to do much now with my left hand because it’s so numb and feels heavy.

I’m a high school teacher and I just don’t feel as switched on as I did before, my brains “fuzzy”.

Before all of this, I don’t think I ever really felt any symptoms. I had a constant twitching thumb and eye for about 5/6 months back in 2009 when I was travelling Australia but I don’t think it is related to this.

Anyway, here I am. Wondering if anyone else has had similar symptoms and how long did it take for a diagnosis of MS if that is what it turned out to be.
Also, has any recently had an MRI and could tell me how long the waited?
The radiologist said 7-10 days for results and my husband keeps saying well they haven’t contacted you so you just be fine, is this the case or is he trying to keep positive!

Thanks!

I had mine on Friday and got results on the Monday.

Oh that was so quick! Hope your okay.

Was that a diagnosis? I’m hoping that as I haven’t heard it means nothing.

They said the MRI suggested a small stroke and wasnt related to the symptons ive been having.

1 Like

I had an MRI done yesterday. The technician said the radiologist report would be sent to my neurologist probably within 2-3 weeks. If they see anything urgent (for example cancerous) then I’d be contacted more quickly though.

Then the neurologist has to look at it. Then has to either write a letter to me with the results or make an appointment to see me. That may take some time. MS is not considered an urgent condition as a delay of a few weeks or months doesn’t have a significant impact on long-term prognosis.

I had a previous MRI done 17 months ago. It took that hospital over 2 months to get a brief (and as it turned out disengenuous) response from the neurology registrar, and that was with a lot of pushing for a response. The follow up appointment had been set for 6 months later, and they were just going to let me rot for that length of time without a response on the MRI! My MRI was not even looked at by a fully qualified neurologist. I requested a copy of my notes and of the scan and radiologists report, discovered what my MRI actually showed and got my GP to refer me to a different hospital and neurologist, as I had lost any faith in that particular neurologist and hospital.

1 Like

I had an MRI with a Consultation 8 days later. I tried to prime everyone in view of the proximity of the 2 dates. When I got to MRI the radiologist / technician said the scan results will be available “on the system” (same hospital) later that day but it can take the radiologist 2-3 weeks to produce a report…

In practice, the Neurologist knows what they are looking at/for, without a report, as long as they know the scan is on the system.

Hi @Lanta,

I really do hope you are starting to feel emotionally and physically stronger since you originally posted this.

I was taken in to hospital last Monday 28/02/22 - with numbness round my abdomen and back, tingling down my legs and feet - and by the Friday 04/03/22 I was diagnosed with MS. This was after 2 MRI scans and numerous reflex and neurological tests.

I am now home, thankfully.

I do hope you find out soon enough for your own health, as the worry will not help a lot of your symptoms and emotional well-being.

Sending love - Nin :cherry_blossom:

2 Likes

Hi,

I hope that you are positive about whatever the result & are feeling better.

I was diagnosed at 23 (17 years ago). I was told after an MRI and then had a lumber puncture to confirm.

Do you have an appointment with your neurologist? Im not sure how it works with COVID delays etc but normally it would be discussed then?

Ceri x

1 Like

Sending you love, was it a shock?? X

Hi,

Sorry I didn’t get a notification that this had come through.

Hope you are doing okay since your diagnosis?

I am well thank you. I ended up in hospital a few days after I posted this, as I had sepsis from a spinal infection. So whilst that wasn’t great in itself I am feeling so much better now.

I never actually got the results from my MRI so I assume nothing came of that and it was all done to this infection. My tingling has stopped now, for the most part anyway, just left with the slight one in my tongue.

I never actually saw a neurologist as my appointment wasn’t booked until Feb 2023!!

Xx

I’m not sure on the MRI results still. I called my GP and they said they were on the system and someone would call me but they never did.

I haven’t had a neurologist appointment either.

I feel a bit like it’s all just been left since I went into hospital with sepsis last week.

Xx

Oh bless you, ive had sepsis twice so make sure you look after yourself. Hope the results come back from the MRI ok.

Its good that symptoms seem to be fading
Ceri x

1 Like

Hi Lanta,

Im doing ok. Undergoing Physio, which is tiring but necessary. My MS Hug is easing a little which is helping with movement, but the pain is still excruciating. I am on Neuropathic medicine, so. I’m hoping that will start ease some of the pain.

I’m sorry to hear you ended up back in hospital, but glad symptoms are easing.

Sending love.

Nin x

1 Like

Hi Ceri,

It was a real shock. I went in with numbness and came out with a diagnosis. Its been a rocky road, but I am on the waiting list for treatment. So, we live in hope and wait for the call/letter to come through.

Nin x

Hi Nin

Bless you!! Hope you start to feel better soon.

I had my results from my MRI and they were clear. I have a neurologist appointment next week Wednesday. My blood tests keep coming up with high inflammation so they assume I have an infection somewhere, but this whole process is taking much longer than I ever thought.

My symptoms (for whatever this is) have started to come back in my face.

Did you have lesions on your brain and spine MRI? I assume without any lesions they can safely say it isn’t MS, so I think that’s where I’m at.

I am however booked in for a lumbar puncture too.

Xx

1 Like

Hi Lanta,

Yes, I have one on my spine and 8 on my brain. Just waiting for my treatment date to come through.

I’m pleased to hear your MRI scan was clear. Although, sometimes when you have an answer or ‘something’ it’s easier to deal with and move forward. I am sorry to hear your symptoms in your face have returned.

I have a blog where I share my story/symptoms/daily living on instagram - invisible_load_of_life… you may find others on there as a support and network - going through something similar.

I really hope you find the answers you need, and looking for. Best of luck with the lumbar puncture :heart:

Nin x

1 Like