Wahl diet

Has anyone tried this diet? I have ordered the book at the minute I wud try anything ?

I’ve not heard of it but to be honest I’ve been diagnosed so will just carry on following an healthy diet as much as I can. My appetite at the moment is rubbish. I hope you find it helpful though Kel Have you been diagnosed ?

Hi, Yes, I’ve been following the Wahls’ Protocol/Paleo diet since August and before that I was on the Best Bet Diet since 2008. I’ve done a lot of reading on Leaky Gut Syndrome and feel Paleo is the right one to be on. Unfortunately, I’ve been on antibiotics for an infected toe for the last few weeks which have made me feel a bit light-headed, so I’m not able to say yet how it’s going, but I have the last one tomorrow then it’ll be all systems go. As well as Terry Wahls I also like the Mercola website. He makes a range of products as well that you can get from Evolution Organics, eg. probiotics, and I’ve also started having fermented veg, the proper stuff not the pasteurised rubbish you get in the shops. I’m going to make my own once my kraut pounder arrives. Heather

Hi I cut out dairy 6 months ago after diagnosis & have tried to keep to a sensible mix of Wahls diet as well as Swank & Jelinek’s. It’s always difficult to know with a change of diet whether it’s this or taking vitaminD3, or whether my ms is a slow burner, but on the whole I feel well. I lost weight with the change in diet, which I didn’t need, so I have to make sure I maintain a healthy weight & have managed to get this back up. I felt that a healthy diet can only help & I’m just not prepared to take a gamble with ms. Good Luck Jane xx

It does sound interesting and similar to the diet i am using which is Jelinek.

I’ve been following the paleo diet for over two years now and haven’t had a relapse, who knows if I would have had one anyway, but I feel good, and fit and healthy too. Takes a bit of used to and planning but worth it, good for the family too!

I tried the Wahl diet for about six weeks back in September. I saw an immediate improvement in my stair climbing and was very excited by this. But I also saw a deterioration in my bladder function. The deterioration continued and I started to develope all the symptoms of a UTI (urgency but hardly anything coming out when I weed, burning, smelly wee, having to get up to wee several times in the night). I took a urine sample to my GP, fully expecting there to be bacteria in it but there wasn’t. I tried over the counter medicine and bicarbonate of soda and was just about alright as long as I was taking one of these very alkaline substances but terrible again as soon as I stopped.

I had a neuro appointment anyway and I mentioned the problems I was having to him. He suggested I take a break from the Wahl diet. I did that and all the cystitus symptoms started to reduce and then cleared up completely about three days later. I felt really stupid because I hadn’t thought of going off the diet myself. I’m still puzzled as to why it had this effect on me (all those vegetables you have to eat are alkaline, not acid). Anyway, it was a disaster for me.

With any diet, you have to remember to rotate what you eat, not have the same stuff day-in day-out. I made that mistake and I think some people have problems with eating too much kale. All these greens, although good for you, are high in oxalate or something, and that irritated my bladder. Heather

And building on what Heather wrote, you can say that any good diet is better than a poor one. That is all.
Expert opinions are divided on what is good and what is poor. One thing is for sure - diets are big business.

Consider:
One expert will tell you that bananas are bad for you because they contain too much sugar.
One expert will tell you that bananas are good for you because they contain potassium
Both statements are true. But it is easy to minimise the rest of your sugar intake.

If you take the diets that will “cure” your MS, what the people who will sell you their book on their diet cannot do is prove that they have not just had a very long remission.
You might also think it a trifle odd that that they do not publish in a way that would submit their claims to ctitical peer review - they publish in a way that makes money for them.

There has been one diet (that really does cure MS, honest, yeah, right ) that I have seen regularly promoted on another forum. This one requires a substantial amount of dietary supplements as well as the suggested foods. The man concerned died maybe two decades ago (so no-one can say if he was enjoying a long remission), and the web page promoting “his” diet and list of supplements was (if researched deeply) supported by the world’s largest manufacturer of dietary supplements. What got my immediate attention was that Vitamin D3 was not on the list - and we all know how important D3 is for us.

You can say that some people are lactose intolerant (lay off the dairy products) and others cannot tolerate anything related to wheat.
Now if one expert tells you to avoid all fat, a second tells you to avoid all carbo-hydrates, and a third to avoid protein - you cannot say that anyone of the three is correct. Play it safe, follow all three, and starve to death.

After I had a heart bypass operation, I had an interesting session with a cardiac nurse. She went through in very great detail what my diet should be in order to avoid any further heart problems. Every single thing she suggested was exactly what I was already doing (much to her surprise) and it had obviously not worked the first time. For those who are interested, it was the so-called Mediterranean diet (heavy on olive oil, tomatoes and seafood/oily fish).

So, just think about any diet that makes money for someone else - and question their motives.

Geoff

Just to answer Heather - I didn’t go crazy on the kale, because there are quite a few green vegetables that count towards the plateful you have to eat on the Wahl diet. I did eat a lot of onions and leeks - because the diet specifies a plateful of these as well. It may be that my body couldn’t deal with this - but that’s the diet. It didn’t come with health warnings about the bad effects that all the sulphuric vegetables might have (apart from jokey ones about wind).

I would agree with Geoff! Would also add:-

If a person is making money out of diet websites / books etc, and they are sure their diet works, I would question why have they not submitted their work to peer-reviewed medical journals. I know the common answer is often ‘Big Pharma won’t fund studies about natural remedies etc because they want to keep people on drugs etc’ - and whilst it is right to be somewhat watchful of this point, I think it is logically incorrect to hold the position that a relatively straightforward solution (such as diet) to MS would not be properly investigated because of ‘big pharma’ conspiracies etc… if someone could produce evidence for a cure / (or even a partial-cure) for MS, they’d be up for nobel prizes etc… so if there was credible evidence, it would be published in medical journals.

I do aso wonder whether a lot of the positive reports for books about MS diets may actually be confused / muddled by the fact that a certain proportion of these reports come from people who have self-diagnosed themselves with MS, but do not actually have the condition. I know sometimes when I mention MS, it is surprising how often people say ‘oh, I think I might have MS’ and then go on to say that their doctor was unble to give an official diagnosis / offer appropriate support, so they took matters into own hands and self-healed through diet / meditation etc. In some cases it is possibly true, in other cases, maybe not. This is why it is important for peer reviewed scientific evidence - so people can say with certainty that (a) the person definitely has MS, and (b) the diet either helps or does not help the condition.

I know some MSers have said they have had success with Wahls / paleo - but as Geoff says, it is difficult to know whether the diet has had a direct impact, or whether they are in a remission unrelated to diet.

really really sorry if this has turned into a negative rant - honestly didnt mean to - it’s where my heads at today I guess. I think I’m just very sceptical about the whole thing. I had a very frustrating conversation the other day with someone who has never been diagnosed with MS, but tells me they are sure they have it, but they control it through diet - and suggested I try the same. o.O grrrrr.

And actually, my last comment would be - , so long as the diets pose no detrimental effects to health - maybe they might be worth trying out? Ha - I’ve contadicted myself there! But not reallly -at the end of the day I think trying things out can’t hurt, and might actually help - just don’t necessarily expect complete miracles or buy into the hype xxxxxxxx

Personally I don’t think this diet business is rocket science. Low fat, lean protein, fresh fruit and veg. Cook meals from scratch, grill your meat, eat oily fish, keep away from heavily processed foods as much as possible. If your diabetic or gluten intolerant or whatever then seek the advice of a dietician or nurse or gp.

Not heard of this diet.

Oh gosh, Anonymous, now the conspiracy fundamentalists will be after both of us.

Geoff

Thank u all

Just to reply to Blossom, then I’ll shut up for today, honest. Low-fat is bad. Manufacturers promote low fat foods because we wrongly believe low-fat = not-fattening. It’s the fat that makes food taste nice. If you take fat out you have to put something in to restore the taste, and that’s sugar. Low-fat foods tend to have more calories than full-fat ones. Go for full-fat every time. Heather

Hi heather! When I said low fat I was just thinking about fatty greasy food etc. Always use lurpak butter in moderation of course. I did say I don’t go for over processed foods. Like to keep it as plain and natural as possible. :slight_smile:

Hi heather! When I said low fat I was just thinking about fatty greasy food etc. Always use lurpak butter in moderation of course. I did say I don’t go for over processed foods. Like to keep it as plain and natural as possible. :slight_smile: