Vitamin D3 & NHS

I agree entirely Perky, that it may be too late to heal any damage caused by a diet too low in D3. I will certainly be upping my dose, and including several other vits. I am the only member of our family with MS, but my relations are doing likewise. I am certainly not going to gamble with my health simply because of a welded wallet!

R.F.

@Heather and @ Mark I completely agree with you that we are our own experts! I found out by accident that I had exceptionally low vitamin D levels - 8.3 nmol/L. After doing a bit of research I realised how important vitamin D is for my condition. I’m convinced that it could have been one of the main causes of MS for me. I have been taking a dose of 10 000iu every day for the past 5 months and my levels are now up to 188iu. I have seen a significant improvement in my condition and have not had any new relapses since I started taking it. I was just really disappointed with my neurologist and MS nurse for not advising that I get my levels checked and start taking a supplement. Surely this is information they should know and be telling newly diagnosed patients. There was one neurologist I read about who said that he considers it medical malpractice not to prescribe vit D supplements! My NHS GP was happy to let me have my blood levels tested through the NHS but she didn’t prescribe anything. I get mine on amazon. They are called Life Extension and cost around £7 for 60 capsules. I also follow a diet where I have cut out dairy, gluten, red meat, sugar and saturated fats. Seems to be working for me!

Hiya Sop,

I get my vit.d3 supplied via gp as my levels were low, also short of calcium so advised to drink a pint of skimmed milk per day which Im buying.

You can get them on the nhs but only if your deemed short of sufficient levels, unless you can convince your gp its good for ms?

I would try, I didnt have any bother getting them. Mine are 1,000 IU (international units) x 2 daily.

bren

x

Hello,

I have researched vit D at great length, after it was found my levels were acutely low.

It is not truely a vitamin but a hormone and affects so many things in our body, MS or not.

There is clearly a link for many of us, MS and vitD deficiancy.

My Neuro asked my GP to prescribe either 50000 or 20000 for 8 weeks. This then lead to a battle between the neuro, the GP and the PCT. Eventually I was given a prescription from the GP for 20000 per week. In the meantime, I was fed up of waiting, I bought 50000 online.

It maybe a coincidence but after a few weeks I started to feel so much better and the improvement continues. Many people who know me are surprised at how well I look.

Take a look at the Barts MS blog or purchase one of the many books avliable on the subject.

There are so many people in the medical proffesion that are not up to date. I dont blame them, they have so much to keep on but it really can make a huge difference.

We need to fight this disease with all we can and vit D is a massive weapon.

As you may of gathered, I am a huge vit D fan; my son says I should be a vitD salesperson!

Hope this helps.

Clare

Her knowledge is sadly out of date when it comes to Vit D3 though. It is now recommended that ALL MSers supplement with D3 and the recommended amount is 5000iu a day.

It is also recommended that you get your Vit D3 levels checked every 3 months. Your GP will happily do this. Your levels should be at a minimum between 125 - 250 nmol.

I also supplement my daughter with the same amount as Vit D3 is now being recognosed as having a very possible role in the development of MS.

This is just one of many articles availble on the subject. Do a google search and you will find a lot of information.

http://multiple-sclerosis-research.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/research-keeping-vitamin-d-replete.html

Cheers,

Belinda

Just a thought regarding supplementing children… In the “old” days children were routinely given doses of cod liver oil to help prevent ricketts (a bone disease). Cod liver oil is high in Vit D3 and ricketts is a result of Vit D3 deficiency.

My point being that children have traditionally been supplemented with Vit D3 from years. Did you know that in Australia, the land of sushine, children have started developing ricketts??? Mainly due to the overuse of sunscreens and over caution about skin cancer but none the less it shows how important Vit D3 is in children’s diets.

Food for thought… (Yes, pun intended)

Belinda