Urge incontinence

I’ve posted about this before, but I’m getting to my wits end with soggy pads and damp knickers several times a day.

My bladder doesn’t empty fully and I’ve been successfully self catheterising for six months now.

Ive tried various medication, but I still have urgency and frequency problems, particularly in the morning.

Id hoped meds and catheterising would sort it, but no such luck. Even if, as advised by my GP I go to the toilet before I need to, as soon as I set off I start to leak.

i suppose I should be grateful I don’t empty, or I really would be in a mess.

It looks like this is something I’m just going to have to put up with :frowning:

Have you been referred to the continence clinic? Your GP or MS nurse can do this.

There is medication which can help with this…solifenacin, tolterodine to name but two. You may have to experiment a bit to get the medication and dosage right for you.

Good Luck!

Anne

1 Like

Have you considered Botox? I had this problem and was referred to a urologist who suggested Botox immediately. I self catheterise all the time but I don’t see this as a problem. I’ve had it twice so far and there’ll be about 9 months between the 2nd and 3rd time.

The 1st time was done with a general anaesthetic so they could check things at the same time. However the 2nd was done under a local and although a little uncomfortable really wasn’t too bad!

I think it’s brilliant and wouldn’t be without it now!

Sarah

Yes, I’ve seen the continence nurse. She discharged me soon after I learnt to self catheterise. I’ve had solefenacin, that helped for a shirt while, then Tolterdine, that was no help, then oxybutynin which I’m still taking, again it helped, but doesn’t seem so effective now. I’ve tried to retrain my bladder too!