Universal credit

Hello

I am still in Limbo and waiting for diagnosis but both my GP and neurologist keep mentioning MS, I still have a few tests to go and it’s taking for ever. However since I became ill in July and after 9 weeks off work I have had to cut my working hours to part time and apply for universal credit which as a single mum of a teenager is very difficult. What worries me is that if I am never able to return to work full time that I am expected to live on pennies for the rest of my life,I feel in a bit of a panic as I have always worked hard and now when I need a little support I’m stressed about money. Oh I’m 52 . Thanks everyone x

1 Like

Hi Sheila, You could talk to the Citizens Advice Bureau and ask what benefits you are entitled to. Once you have been diagnosed you can apply for Personal Independence Payments. Then there is Housing Benefit to supplement your Council Tax. This is not a definitive list. There is financial help for those in need but it takes a bit of work to find it all. Best wishes, Anthony

Hello

Definitely get some advice from the CAB or another welfare rights advisor as to what you might be entitled to at the moment and what your options are for the future. Certainly getting a diagnosis will help with claims for benefits. That Universal Credit is something that’s been sent from the underworld by Satan to curse the needy and unwell.

Sue

1 Like