Unexpected bowel issue

This is a great first post and I can’t believe I’m writing this. I’ve had a change in my bowel habits since December 2012 and am still trying to find out what’s caused it. I suffered badly with constipation until then and then it all changed. I now go daily (usually several times), I have the most awful wind and today upon passing what I thought was wind I did in fact soil myself. Luckily I was at home. I’m taking gabapentin and don’t know if this could cause what happened today, I’ve only been taking it for about four weeks.

Anyone? Please

Bump Don’t think I can really help just want to bump you up. Great you are now going daily. Wind uncomfortable and unpleasant and embarrassing if you pass more than you want. However it isn’t uncommon happens to lots of us me included. So what is the remedy for wind? I don’t know perhaps someone else will. Have you got an MS nurse you can ask? Hugs Min xx

Wind… better out than in!! Haha. Sorry, no useful advice but that is my motto.

Gabapentin didn’t change my bowel habits. Have you tried eating more eggs or bananas to compensate?

[quote=“Atomicchoc”] This is a great first post and I can’t believe I’m writing this. I’ve had a change in my bowel habits since December 2012 and am still trying to find out what’s caused it. I suffered badly with constipation until then and then it all changed. I now go daily (usually several times), I have the most awful wind and today upon passing what I thought was wind I did in fact soil myself. Luckily I was at home. I’m taking gabapentin and don’t know if this could cause what happened today, I’ve only been taking it for about four weeks. [/quote] Gabapentin can have an a effect on the bowels. PLEASE DO NOT just stop taking it. If you need to stop it, its up to your gp to withdraw the dosage safely. This problem may have nothing at all to do with the gabapentin…or it may have and will settle down without any intervention. What you need to do is make an appointment to see your gp. All the best

sounds like you are a bit bunged up, you get wind and overflow. you are probably constipated higher up. you will need to take some apperients like laxibo which comes in a powder you mix with water, quite strong and should do the trick to get your bowels moving properly. hope this helps x

Hi, sounds like you need to see your GP. It might be summat that`s easliy sorted, so dont worry yourself too much longer eh?

polllx

Have you had a relapse recently or if you’re progressive have you had a decline because bowel problems could be a new or worsening symptom of your ms (they were a new symptom for me)? If so you need a referral to continence nurse who can explore options to help manage your bowels and give you some control back from the roller coaster you are on. There are lots of drugs, managment and “poo posture” techniques that could help as well as systems like peristeen. If this has been ruling your life for a while it may be worth asking GP for a referral as it can be sorted and is like a weight lifted when it is but it just takes time and a lot of trial and error. Good luck xx