Uhthoffs syndrome = definitely ms?

The title says it all. Is this ms?? Is it all over now

hi

why do people ask if it’s all over?

is the fat lady singing?

if you haven’t seen a neuro yet, get yourself referred.

if you have been diagnosed, believe us that it most definitely is NOT all over.

there a many horrible things that can happen, ms is only one and it isn’t the worst.

see your gp and talk about your concerns.

maybe you need an anti-depressant, which is quite normal because the diagnosis procedure would get anyone down.

learn mindfulness meditation because this is a powerful tool.

take a deep breath and remind yourself that you are ALIVE!

carole x

So you’re just going to avoid saying anything about uhthoffs sign. I need information that’s the only thing which will help me. False reassurances are not going to help. Telling someone ms is not the worst thing is just dismissive. Ms is never a serious illness at first but it’s a progressive condition which in the end can cause blindness paralysis and all sorts of nasty things

You call yourself Mssufferer, but are asking questions which seem to indicate that you may have MS but may not.

You should be aware that no one on this forum can diagnose you with MS nor rule it out. Has a neurologist diagnosed Uhthoffs sign? If they’ve actually called it that then they’ve presumably also diagnosed you with MS. If you’ve self diagnosed Uhthoffs, then you can’t say that Uhthoffs = MS definitively in your case.

And to be honest, if you react so aggressively towards someone who is giving your question some thought and answering as best she can, then you’re not going to get very far with answers to your worries.

When Carole said a diagnosis of MS doesn’t mean it’s all over, that was the truth.

If you think you have MS, but have not had it diagnosed by a neurologist, then I suggest you get yourself referred (if you’re still at that stage), see a neurologist, go through your clinical history, have a neurological examination, undergo the tests suggested by the neuro (or refuse them if you prefer), then you’ll know whether to ask if MS = it’s all over.

Sue

4 Likes

[quote=“Ssssue”]

If they’ve actually called it that then they’ve presumably also diagnosed you with MS

Sue

[/quote] so the answer is yes uhthoffs means ms? That’s close enough to being a definite diagnosis

Sue is bang on here. If you have been diagnosed by a professional as having Uhthoff’s that is an indication of a variety of neurological conditions including - but not confined to - MS. self diagnosed Uhthoff’s is as worthless in the great scheme of diagnosis as “having a tendency to come over all peculiar when it’s a bit hot”. Uhthoff’s is not a yes/no answer to MS anyway. I have very active MS but no real history of Uhthoff’s. Remember, as any scientist will tell you “absence of evidence is not evidence of absence”.

2 Likes

And any great scientist will tell you that they used to use uhthoffs as a way of diagnosing ms before mris

Anyway why do I need a neurologist to tell me I have uhthoffs? That’s ridiculous there’s no test for it. It’s just a name for a particular phenomenon. You are the only person who knows if you feel worse after a hot bath.

[quote=“Mssufferrer”] And any great scientist will tell you that they used to use uhthoffs as a way of diagnosing ms before mris [/quote] And they used to kill a rabbit to determine whether you were pregnant and they used to make you eat raw liver if you had pernicious anaemia! In the good old days, a diagnosis of MS before you were what would now be 7 or 8+ on the disability scale after many, many relapses or steep progression - and they still got it wrong (even more often than they do today). I am going to say this to you once, you need to face up to the fact that you have begun what is a potentially very long road to diagnosis. There are no short cuts.

1 Like

What Sue said is absolutely right & I really think that you’re not going to be happy with any replies you may get on this forum.

1 Like

I would suggest that you look up the definition of Uhthoffs and what causes it. Uhthoffs describes a reaction to heat/humidity experienced by some people but not all reactions to heat/humidity are Uhthoffs. That’s why you need a neuro gist to call it.

1 Like

I have to say that I have met some neuro-gits in the past but not a neuro gist! Curse you predictive text. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Boblatina”] There are no short cuts. [/quote] death

[quote=“Boblatina”] [quote=Mssufferrer]And any great scientist will tell you that they used to use uhthoffs as a way of diagnosing ms before mris [/quote] And they used to kill a rabbit to determine whether you were pregnant and they used to make you eat raw liver if you had pernicious anaemia! In the good old days, a diagnosis of MS before you were what would now be 7 or 8+ on the disability scale after many, many relapses or steep progression - and they still got it wrong (even more often than they do today). I am going to say this to you once, you need to face up to the fact that you have begun what is a potentially very long road to diagnosis. There are no short cuts.[/quote]I don’t even understand your point. What’s your point? You said I can’t self diagnose uhthoffs. How do you think a neurologist is going to know if you have it? He will ask YOU what the symptoms are!

MS SUFFERER. Diagnosis of a neurological condition is like putting a jigsaw puzzle together. Sometimes the neurologist has a lot the pieces at the beginning including get the corners and the edges. Unfortunately, a lot of the time s/he just has a single piece of blue. Is it the sea? Is it the sky? Or is it just a blue dress? It would help if there was a lid to the box but there isn’t so it is time to start rooting around to find any more pieces.

1 Like

OK. In the good old days doctors would diagnose diseases by tasting your urine and reading the entrails of a chicken. Medical technology has moved on, thank goodness and diagnosis is a bit more reliable as a result. The presence of Uhthoffs was an OK-ish diagnostic tool in the absence of others in the past and is still a useful tool but there are better and infinitely more reliable tests available nowadays.

1 Like

A neuro will take your history and put it together with a physical examination and other tests. Feeling worse after a hot bath COULD be Uhthoffs but equally it could be high blood pressure, diabetes or a million other things. Just because YOU believe it to be does not make it so and jumping from that unsupported conclusion to another, even less shaky conclusion is even more ridiculous. Sorry.

2 Likes

I had never heard of uhthoffs i had to just google it, i really would hate to offend you but by the sounds of it you have not even seen a doctor yet ? if i was you i would stay off these forums and also google until you have been seen by someone in medical profession, you are getting yourself in a state over googling a few symptoms that really could be a whole list of things or even nothing, there is no easy way to diagnose ms it takes time and lots and lots of blood tests,mri’s and other procedeures, going to a neuro and listing a whole load of symptoms will not get you a diagnosis as far as i am aware, its a stressful time in limbo but you can’t just talk or write about it go see someone and get the tests

2 Likes

Sometimes I would like to ban Google, I really would. :slight_smile: Just have that lumbar puncture (AND additional MRIs AND blood tests for Devils and Lyme disease AND evoked potentials AND opthamology AND the multitude of other tests that might be needed for your case). No matter what certain politicians try to tell us, sometimes we do need experts because they have expertise that we don’t. That’s why they are called experts :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So, why, why why do you want to have MS?