Today

I got a letter from the MS Society asking for money towards research for treatment for progressive MS. It’s good to know someone’s trying. It also contained a cardboard star and a request to put an encouraging message for the researchers on it.

The only thing I could think of was PLEASE HURRY UP!

Now I would actually give to that, but the only time I’ve ever been asked for donations by the Society, I haven’t seen any option to say I only want it to go towards research. I am not interested in funding campaigns that could be seen as political, and don’t want my money to go to that. I think research is the single most important thing, so that MS and the disability it causes might not even be an issue in the future, and wouldn’t need campaigns.

But how do you give, and say it’s for research? Are you sure this donation was specifically for research, or does the small print say the Society can allocate it in any way they see fit (only a small percentage to research, I believe)?

Tina

x

I don’t know how you give and stipulate it is for research. This letter was signed by one of the scientists involved in research and explained why they wanted the money and that it was for research. Sorry I don’t have the letter to hand now to give you all the detail. It’s not the first time I’ve had this sort of request.

If it does indeed go 100% to the research, I’m all for it! I just hope it does, and not into the general kitty.

T.

x

I’ve got a copy of the same letter (from Dr Emma Gray), small print right at the bottom of the back page of the letter:

“Donations will be distributed across all of the MS Society’s work, wherever the need is greatest. Your gift will help the Society achieve its aim: to beat MS”

Jo x

1 Like

Hmmm. Thought so. In other words you’ve no idea what percentage will go to the actual research that was your reason for giving.

I don’t want to discourage people from donating, but this annoys me, and I find it bordering on deception. If you’re moved by a plea for research funds, you expect your gift to go to exactly that - research! AND, if applicable, the area of research that was named, too. Not to be: “distributed across all of the MS Society’s work”.

Tina

I hadn’t noticed the small print, I’ll keep an eye on that next time.

Several years ag I got a letter telling me £45 would pay for an appointment with an MS nurse. I was tempted to send it with a note saying, “please can I now have an appointment with an MS nurse”

1 Like

I am sorry to have broken bad news. But you’re a perfect example of what I mean. You believed (no fault of yours) that your generous gift would go specifically to research into progressive MS, didn’t you? And having a card to send to the researchers increased that impression. I think that’s wrong!

I really like your notion of: “Here’s the £45; when’s my appointment?” - I do realise you’re only kidding.

Tina

x

1 Like