To retire or not

Ha!

What was that sick slogan from the concentration camps - you know… that slogan over the iron gates :

“Arbeit macht frei” (work will set you free).

People often repeat government propaganda they know to be untrue. Why??

The government’s current campaign against the sick and disabled - packaged up as “equal access” and “anti-discrimination” reminds us of the power of government to fragment and bully different sections of society.

So just say no to the bullying.

And don’t feel guilty about not working:

• Work doesn’t set you free - but enslaves you.
  • People who are not in employment - do not fester - they flourish.
  • There is more to life than work.
  • Enjoy your freedom!
1 Like

Isn’t that interesting? Do you think it is something about people in general disliking change and therefore being a wee bit resistant to you changing the ‘old’ you that they have known and loved for so many years? So they set to work trying to return you to being as busy as ever, so that comfortable normality is restored - comfortable for them, that is!

In my personal experience, people whose noses are still to the grindstone tend to display much more worry about how a recently retired person will cope with ‘all that time on his hands’ than the recently retired person is! I took to it like a duck to water and I hope that you do too.

Alison

Hi

you have made the decision that you feel is right for you. Don’t be bullied as you know you.

I am still working as it’s right for me. I enjoy work and feel it’s the right thing for me. I know that the time will come when I need to retire just not yet.

my employer doesn’t discriminate against and gives me access to employment rights with reasonable adjustments.

take care

paul

2 Likes

NO TIME FOR WORK WITH MS.

When I was diagnosed in Feb 2016 I was absolutely determined that I was going to carry on working as long as possible. I love my job so much.

However - since then - due to having time off sick with the fatigue side of things I have been put on sickness monitoring at work twice. I have read the trust (NHS) policy and if I go off sick again I ‘could’ get a “First letter of concern”. A further absence ‘could’ get me a “Final letter of concern”. After that it ‘could’ be dismissal.

This stresses me out no end. I have tried to get THEM to clarify if this is what would happen to me - given that I have MS. They absolutely refuse to tell me for sure whether further action would be taken.

So - I’m at work today, feeling like shit, having started with a cold last Thursday. I am too worried about what would happen to take time off.

Right now - if I could retire, I would. I hate the stress of working with this condition with employers who are not very sympathetic. (you’d think they would be with being NHS but they’re awful)

NanaJuls, could you get a powerchair to conserve energy at work?

I am one of the secretaries - and thankfully there’s not much pootling about to be done. If i’m having a particularly bad day then my colleagues do the running around for me.

NanaJules, strongly suggest you check out the Equality Act 2010. What they appear to be doing is very wrong.

xx

If you like to work, keep doing that. Just make sure that you’ll be making up time for enjoying life as well. Ofter, we are so caught in working and making money that we lose a part of ourselves. When the time comes, you should be able to say “stop” and take a look at what you’ve accomplished. I’m pretty close to that moment and that’s why I’ve decided to contact someone from humaninvesting.com in order to discuss a retirement plan. I’ve always liked to be prepared and I can’t neglect this part of life. It’s crucial and I want to sleep peacefully at night

If you don’t like your job then why not. I love my job and I probably won’t retire soon. I started working there when I was studying at university. I often turned to MyEssayWriting.com Review with Detailed Prices and Writing Offers to spend more time at work than studying. I love my job very much because now I have the opportunity to work from home and it’s great because I don’t waste time getting dressed and getting to work. This is your decision and I think you will make the right one!!!

Great news: you can do whatever suits you best. Being told you can afford to retire is excellent news; it isn’t an instruction to bulk-buy puzzle books and comfy slippers from Damart. Although there’s nothing wrong with those things if they float your boat, obviously…

I think those of us who have spent long decades dutifully going to work every day can struggle a little bit to get our heads around the possibilities that exist beyond the daily grind. What do people even do??? Well, that’s what you can start mulling over in your own mind and in your own time. Maybe there’s some deadline like a time-limited opportunity to apply for redundancy or eary retirement or something. But if there isn’t, you can take as long as you want - always remembering that you don’t have to stop work before you feel like it. Your financial advisor has given you options, not your marching orders!

1 Like

Retire! You can play golf so I assume that you are active still and your MS does not stop you playing golf.
I had to take ill health retirement at 58 after being made redundant by employers I had been with for over 25 years.
No money, no savings and cr***y pension and now my wife wants a divorce.
In a short space of time the life we know can be destroyed.
Grab the moment and retire. I assume you have a good pension and apart from MS you are in reasonable health.
Chasing the money for an extra few pounds a month pension does not make sense to me.
I speak as a man with no money, no wife and with PPMS

I was forced to retire at 51 due to not being able to work with the MS and epilepsy. When I say retire, I actually live on benefits not a pension. My pension pot was never big enough to retire on and I’ve got to wait for my state pension (7 years of which has been stolen by the government).

I think you will get used to it and a life outside of work will develop and everything will fall into place.

I missed work for a very short time and soon adjusted. I’m sure you will carve out a life outside of work.

Well it’s 4 years since I retired about 3 years ago I got myself a part time job with the local funeral director. And it may sound strange but I really enjoy it.

2 Likes

Wow, congratulations! It’s not that everybody can afford something like this at your age. When I was looking for Financial Solutions for medical professionals, I knew from the beginning that retiring at a younger age would not be an option for me as there were too many things I had to take care of. But if I were in your situation, I think that I wouldn’t want to retire from the first possibility, especially if I am powerful enough to continue working. I would instead choose an easier job with less hard work or responsibilities but one that will make me feel that I bring something good to society.

Hi
I personally would go for the Ace option the hole. A 1 on your card. A euphoric feeling that no drug can top. And Ace is what all those newfound friends in the bar will be calling you as you buy them drinks. Cheers.