Forum

The official spam thread

Hi all

I thought I better update you on where we’re at with spam and software to stop it taking over these boards and making things totally unusable.

There should also be one single place for everyone to share experiences, ask questions, provide feedback etc.

So , over the weekend we added Mollom software to the boards to start detecting spam. It’s clear to regular users that spam on the system was on the rise and that something needed to be done to get control of it. Every forum of any size uses uses such a system and we can’t be an exception.

As a result some of you may well have been asked to verify that you are a real person making a real post by competing a CAPTCHA box. We accept that this is a pain but we think the alternative - forums overrun by spammers - is a worse alternative.

Over the weekend (26-27 Nov) we had the Mollom software at a quite high setting and, as a result, it picked up quite a lot of posts that definitely weren’t spam. We have now weakened the settings so hopefully it shouldn’t pick up as many genuine posts.

One of the problems we have is that lots of the content on these forums could be seen as spam - we talk about treatments, medication, drugs a lot and these are exactly the kind fo things spam filters are wise to!

Please post here with comments, problems, ideas etc as we really need your feedback to get on top of this and to make sure it causes the minimum possible disruption.

best

Greg [admin]

Thanks for the update, Greg.

I believe one of mine was picked up because I’d mentioned anxiety meds - in a perfectly legitimate context, of course - but also a common topic for spam.

I wonder if this one will get picked up because I’ve mentioned them again?

Kind regards,

Tina

Update: The answer was no; it didn’t mind them being mentioned this time. Maybe it’s if I say the specific word: DIAZEPAM.

Now what happens?

UPDATE 2: Seems OK if I mention the brand name too. So far, so good.

T.

Hi Kim

I have no idea why but your above post went into my ‘comments for approval list’ - I waved it through straight away but I’m concerned if your posts are all getting caught up. Were you even asked to enter CAPTCHA text?

Greg [admin]

Thanks for this Tina - excatly the kind of insight I need right now. Keep them coming if you get any more - I will monitor the approval queue very closely today.

Greg

Hi Greg. I just tried for the fourth time now to start a thread it never appeared, I never even got to “competing a CAPTCHA box” no offer came up, I assumed I was ok, but no. :frowning: PS. I never mentioned anything that could be spam either I tried to choose words wisely and kept the thread to a small one. I read this page before starting the thread, it has allowed me to reply to other threads. I know it’s out with your control and I am not complaining just letting you know their is still problems on the site. Stephen.

Hi Stephen

I’ve just had to approve this comment but what you’re saying about new threads is really worrying. I’m not seeing any top-level posts that need approval. I’m going to look into this further and get back to you.

Greg

[quote=“gregchivs”]

Hi Stephen

I’ve just had to approve this comment but what you’re saying about new threads is really worrying. I’m not seeing any top-level posts that need approval. I’m going to look into this further and get back to you.

Greg

[/quote] Hi. The thread I tried to start was “does anyone with MS do yoga”. Thanks a lot. Stephen.

[quote=“Stephen-G”] [quote=gregchivs]

Hi Stephen

Greg

[/quote] Hi. The thread I tried to start was “does anyone with MS do yoga”. Thanks a lot. Stephen.[/quote]

Hi Stephen

I’ve added you to a user group that should mean you don’t get any more problems. Could you try to create your topic now and report back here please?

Greg

Kim

As you’ve been having problems I’ve added you to the verified users group too - please let me know if you have any problems with replies or creating new topics after this.

If anyone else is having problems can they pay particular attention to whether it’s a new topic or a comment on someone elses AND any system messages - even if you’re being told your post has been created. Then get back to me here.

Greg [admin]

Hi Greg. My thread appeared seems everything is ok now. Thanks again. Stephen.

Relieved

It feels like we’re getting on top of this and I haven’t seen any actual spam for the last day or so!

Greg [admin]

Hi Greg

I have just answered a post and not had a problem. Yippee!

Thanks

Pam

Hi Greg…I can respond to other posts but cant start one and like Kim have received nothing about catchcha?

Leave it with me.

Greg

Hi Greg

I PM’d you about not being able to post new topics on EL, I’ve just discovered that my ordinary replies to posts get sent to the mods for checking. I posted one reply over an hour ago and it is yet to appear, other replies have in the meanwhile appeared

Could you look into this please? I am normally quite well behaved

Thanks

Anne

Hi Greg,

I am having to do the Captcha box nearly everytime I reply to a post. I find them really hard to read and it is actually putting me off posting. I have given up a couple of times because I just can’t read the box :frowning:

It is getting to the poitn where I won’t be bothered coming here as posting is becoming a near impossible chore.

Don’t know what yu can do but I wonder how many others have given up in frustration as well.

Cheers,

Belinda

hello greg hope this one gets to you as i have tried to post all eekend with no joy

Testing…