Tell us your experiences of functional electrical stimulation (FES)

Well went to physio today to be told I was having an appt with the Fes physio I was a bit gobsmacked as it was only mentioned last week, well after about an hour of faffing about with settings and repositioning electrodes we finally got it to lift my foot in a reasonable direction, anyway went for a walk on it and wow, what a difference it makes to my walking straight away, it’s early days yet and I need to see if I get used to the strange sensation but I can’t see it being a problem.

Noooooooo. Really, just like that? How flipping impressive is that!!!

I’m really pleased for you Drummer boy. But OMG am I pee’d off by the fact that it’s such a massive postcode lottery. FES is one of the most valuable tools a person with foot-drop can be supplied with. And if everyone with foot-drop were to be assessed and given the best version as suits them, the DWP would actually save a whole lot of money. If I’d been given one 6 years ago, I’d probably be able to walk now. And I wouldn’t qualify for the Support group of ESA, the Enhanced rate of both components of PIP, and my OH wouldn’t therefore qualify for CA. That’s about £16,500 ish per year. Plus all the tax I’d pay if I could still work.

When will someone in this government wake up and provide us with a holistic service. One that actually gives people the tools they need to keep their mobility and prevent severe disability. It would save so much money.

Sorry, rant over. Well done for you DB. I hope it does all you want it to. I’m sure it will.

Sue

I was offered an assessment for FES shortly after diagnosis last October. The private physio (who is also the local FES contact) said that I was suitable and suggested I get my GP to refer me for it as our local health authority fund it. That happened quickly and I’ve had it ever since. I haven’t been using it so much as my walking has improved immensely with physio. However, I’ve just been to see the FES physio for a regular checkup and we’ve agreed that I will wear it full time for the next 4 months as that apparently may retrain my brain to walk properly all the time. Watch this space! I don’t have any problems setting it up but it isn’t exactly a fashion statement!

Hello,

I use a dual channel FES with sticky electrodes and wire from Queen Sq NHNN hospital London. I am unable to walk unaided.I started in 2012 using an FES when I was medically retired and now I could not imagine life without one

The FES significantly improves my quality of life. Without one I would be in a wheelchair. With one I can walk using a walker or rollator. I have completed several1 km walks using an FES, it takes me about 45 minutes to walk that far. I have to walk upstsirs or down stairs one step at a time. Without an FES going upstairs would be almost impossible

The FES and electrodes are a performance to put on and take off but I guess that is life.I have no problems getting spare electrodes and wires from Odstock. Queen Sq walking clinic is outstanding, nothing is too much trouble

I have used an orthotic brace/splint which was very uncomfortable. When footdrop first started I used a MuSmate, a stretchy elastic bans between waist ands front of foot it helps to lift the foot off threground. OK when footdrop first started and I did not need a stick/cane for walking.

Physiotherapy and {Pilates are only an aid to strengthen and build up the muscles but this is not to be seen as a curew or even symptom management.

I am the first to admit that living close to London means that these facilities are avislable and my local health care seems quite happy to pay for the treatment. Should I lose the FES or destroy it then I would have to pAy for a new one, this has been loaned to me

My neuro referred me to the FES clinic at Queen Square and I have used FES for eighteen months. I have found it really helpful as it has stopped me falling and I can walk further using the device. Unfortunately my MS has progressed recently and although FES was still helping my foot drop my leg/hip muscles have weakened making it less effective. I have now been issued with a double channel FES which has so many electrodes and wires! However when I tried it yesterday my walking really improved so I will have to get used to multi shocks and give it a fair try. I have it on loan for six weeks to see how I get on with it. My walking is considerably slower now but I am hoping with the double FES and some physiotherapy that this will improve a little. Sue